Being Italian, tomato based sauces are among my absolute favorite, so it is no surprise that I crave a good Creole Chicken with zesty sauce.
Creole Chicken is a baked chicken recipe using a spicy tomato-based sauce with vegetables and spices. Serve over rice.
Two years ago, a friend and I took a master sauce class and although Creole was mentioned as a tomato-based sauce, we didn’t get a chance to prepare it that day. She and I regularly get together to mess around in the kitchen, trying out new dishes, so we decided to go back to the basics and prepare Creole Chicken.
Using a the recipe given to us by the instructor, we stamped it thoroughly with our personal tastes, primarily adding andouille chicken sausage and adding vegetables beyond tomato. Use any cut of chicken you like and omit or change up the sausage as desired.
Creole sauce is super simple and requires more chopping than actual cook time. Full of fresh vegetables and antioxidant packed spices, it is also a healthy choice. Serve over rice for a complete one dish meal with some SPICE!
If you like this baked chicken recipe, you might like these as well!
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup scallions chopped
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes un-drained
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 3 1/3 pounds chicken drumsticks
- 4 links chicken andouille sausage sliced into discs
- 6 cups cooked rice optional
- In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, heat vegetable oil. Add yellow onion, bell pepper and scallions. Saute until soft, approximately 5 minutes. Add canned tomatoes through marjoram. Stir and cook down for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pat drumsticks with a paper towel and then season with fine sea salt and pepper. In a large skillet, brown chicken in 4 batches, rotating drumsticks as you go. Each batch should take about 5 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to 9x13 or larger roasting pan. Add andouille sausage discs. Cover with Creole vegetable sauce.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Remove and make sure chicken internal temperature has reached 165 and juices run clear. Spoon over cooked rice and enjoy your Creole Chicken!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!