In just 5 short minutes, you can have your very own amazing homemade Honey Mustard Sauce for anything from chicken nuggets to salads. When it’s this easy, it’s worth a shot. So let me show you how to make Honey Mustard my way!
Honey Mustard Sauce is one of the most versatile condiments out there. Use it in as many ways as you see fit, as a salad dressing, dipping sauce, marinade or seasoning. An easy recipe with loads of tangy flavor.
How to Make Honey Mustard Sauce
So, how do you make Honey Mustard? It really is quite simple, after you have your simple ingredients out on the counter, grab a small mixing bowl and that’s just about it. No wonder it only takes 5 minutes, and even better it only uses 6 ingredients for perfect balance.
- Mustard– The biggest question you will need to ask yourself is what type of mustard person are you? Are you a yellow mustard fan? Perhaps a Dijon mustard fanatic? What about coarse grain mustard or spicy mustard? All are acceptable one of the ways you can make your own custom sauce. This recipe uses a blend of two types of mustard for more flavor sophistication. If you want the coarse bits, but don’t have a coarse mustard on hand, simple add 1 teaspoon of mustard seed.
- Mayonnaise– If you only use honey and mustard in your sauce, it will taste great, but it can tend to be a little sticky. To make a creamy sauce, you’ll need to add mayonnaise into the mix. It lightens up the texture a bit (counterintuitive, I know) and gives you the creamy texture you usually see in restaurants. Plain Greek yogurt can be swapped.
- Hot Sauce & Rice Wine Vinegar- Also use just plain white vinegar or apple cider vinegar and omit the hot sauce if making for the kiddos. It isn’t enough to make it spicy, but it does offer pizzazz and tang.
- Honey– This is HONEY mustard dip! Agave nectar is the only acceptable swap.
Place all of these ingredients in a small bowl and stir until fully blended. This is a quick honey mustard sauce and can be served immediately, but I like chill it for an hour to let the natural flavor marry. The best part is that you can store in an airtight container or glass mason jar in the fridge for up to a week. But get ready, it’s about to be your new favorite dressing!
This creamy honey mustard dipping sauce recipe is perfect and customizable. You have control over the variables and you can mix and match to create one out-of-this-world sauce.
- Spicy– Take the heat up a notch by adding a few more dabs of hot sauce or use a ghost pepper sauce.
- Mustard- As mentioned above, try using a different flavor of mustard or even a coarse grained mustard.
- Agave Nectar- If you don’t want to use honey, use a light or dark agave.
What to Use Honey Mustard On
Slather it on some bread to use in a sandwich. Add a dap to you chicken salad mix. Serve it on the side as a dipping sauce for grilled chicken tenders, chicken strips or buttermilk fried chicken. Drizzle it on a salad as a dressing or use it to marinate pork chops, seafood, or chicken. And, of course, use it on a burger or with Cheesy Pigs in a Blanket, as pictured above, or for dipping sweet potato fries.
Sometimes I even add a few tablespoons to my BBQ sauce to change things up a bit! It’s easy, it’s homemade, it’s addictive. You’ve got to try it!
More sauce recipes:
Creamy Honey Mustard Recipe
- Combine the mayonnaise, honey, both mustards, vinegar and hot sauce in a bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Cover and chill for about 1 hour before serving.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back to let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings.