These easy Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels are the perfect sweet and salty snack- pretzel crusted in sugary deliciousness. Ready in 45 minutes (including cooling), this quick snack mix is great for sharing, stashing for quick noshes and even on dessert boards. No fridge required.
Easy Pretzel Snack
If you’re in the market for a wonderfully easy, wildly delicious sweet/salty snack or dessert recipe, these pretzels are for you.
My entire family is into cinnamon—and these pretzels highlight that favorite ingredient while stepping it up a notch with sugar! The cinnamon sugar coats store-bought mini pretzels, then we bake ‘em until the cinnamon sugar melts into the surface.
They are an excellent snack at any type of party or gathering, as well as them being a homemade gift option to give to people you care about during the holiday season.
They cook up in a flash, they smell AMAZING and they taste pretty darn good, too!
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels are shockingly simple to make at home, and you’ll need a few ingredients to make ‘em.
- Store-bought pretzel twists—the small ones! You could also use pretzel sticks, though I haven’t tried those in this recipe.
- Unsalted butter—since the pretzels are salted, we don’t need to use salted butter.
- Granulated sugar—brown sugar or turbinado sugar will not work in this recipe, so please use this- it needs to be able to caramelize.
- Ground cinnamon– make sure it isn’t expired, you’ll lose the fabulous flavor and scent.
How to Make Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
These pretzels are extremely simple to make, but before you get started, make sure to preheat your oven and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat. This will ensure the pretzels don’t stick to the baking sheet.
- Pour the pretzels into a large mixing bowl, then drizzle the melted butter on top of them. Use a rubber spatula to toss until the pretzels are coated—we don’t want any rogue butter at the bottom of the bowl!
- In a small bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar. Stir them up and pour the mixture on top of the pretzels.
- Use that same rubber spatula to toss the pretzels until they’re all coated with the cinnamon sugar mixture. This might take a few minutes, just depending on how large your bowl is and how easily you can move the pretzels around.
- When the pretzels are covered, pour them onto the prepared baking sheet, and pop that in the preheated oven.
- When the pretzels are done, the sugar-cinnamon mixture will have crystalized on the pretzels. They will look dry, as opposed to how they looked when you initially put them in the oven. (If they still look wet, you need to bake them for longer.) They will also be slightly golden brown.
- Let them cool, and once cool, enjoy or store for later! They are great warm too.
Pro Tip: In order for these cinnamon sugar pretzels to bake evenly, you’ve got to stir them with a heat-safe spatula every 10 minutes. To do this, I like to take the baking sheet out of the oven and place it on a heat safe surface, then give them a gentle stir before transferring back into the oven. You can use a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon for this step.
This recipe is delightful as-is, but there are also some fun variations you can use. Add just a dash of other warm spices like nutmeg or allspice. During the holiday months, a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice will also elevate the flavors.
Storage & Prep
Once the Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels have completely cooled off, transfer to a gallon-sized plastic bag and seal tightly, pushing any extra air out of the bag. They will keep for more than a week if stored properly.
How to make Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels ahead of time:
These pretzels are brilliant to make ahead of time because they store so easily. Simply bake them on a day where you have an hour to spare, especially since you’ll need to be close to the oven to give the baking pretzels a stir, and then follow the instructions for storing so they’ll keep until you are ready to use them.
Homemade Cinnamon Sugar
If you can’t find cinnamon sugar on the shelves at the store, it’s super easy to just make your own. It’s made from a combination of sugar and ground cinnamon.
For this recipe, we’re using granulated (white) sugar. Typically, there is more sugar than cinnamon since a little cinnamon goes a long way, flavor-wise.
More easy snacks:
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Cinnamon Sugar Pretzels
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat, and set aside.
- Pour the pretzel twists into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle the butter on top of them. Use a rubber spatula to toss until all the pretzels are coated.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon, stirring until mixed.
- Pour the cinnamon sugar mixture on top of the pretzels, and toss until all the pretzels are coated.
- Transfer the pretzels to the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake the pretzels for 30 minutes, gently stirring them with a heat-safe spoon or spatula every 10 to ensure all parts of the pretzels bake.
- When the pretzels have baked for 30 minutes and no longer appear wet, remove from the oven, and let cool completely. This will take 20-45 minutes, just depending.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings!