This American classic is a delicious fall-off-the-bone recipe! Beer Can Chicken is the winning chicken recipe to serve up at any BBQ to satisfy all your guests! Everyone will be asking for the recipe!
This Beer Can Chicken Recipe is one of the easiest and tastiest ways to prepare a whole chicken, made with brown sugar, paprika, and your classics salt and pepper. Only 10 minutes of prep, and onto the grill it goes!
I don’t care who you are, saying “beer in the butt” makes you giggle a little bit….. hehehehehe. Beer Can Chicken is quickly becoming a classic American recipe.
It uses a classic American beverage (beer) and couples it with America’s favorite meat (chicken) using America’s favorite cooking method (grilling). Despite the simplicity of this cooking concept people tend to mess it up quite frequently.
Below is a fool proof way to prepare fall-off-the-bone Beer Can Chicken every time with no special chicken contraption needed! But you can still buy one if you feel compelled. The link is below.
Cola BBQ Sauce is optional, but highly recommended. It is simple and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen. Syrup in the cola breaks down for a sticky, spicy and sweet glaze.
I serve mine on the side and just dip pieces of chicken. Liquid Smoke gives the sauce a charcoal grilled flavor even if you baked it in the oven.
Cooking chicken in beer gives it fabulous flavor and also keeps is nice and moist. You are essentially steaming it from the inside out with flavored water. Couple that with a flavorful rub and you are in serious business!
If you don’t drink alcohol, you can use a can of lemon-lime soda or regular cola.
If you enjoyed this chicken on the grill, be sure to check out these other easy chicken recipes:
Tools for making Beer Can Chicken:
Grilled Chicken Stand – You don’t really need to have this, but it does help stabilize your chicken.
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Beer Can Chicken
- Make sure you have plenty of propane or charcoal. You will have this baby on there for 2 hours so plan accordingly. Heat grill to high heat. You might need to remove the top rack so the chicken will have enough room to sit upright with the lid closed.
- Unwrap and clean chicken. Cut off any excess fat and remove giblets. Set on an aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Pat dry.
- Combine salt through black pepper in a small bowl. Starting at the neck, gently loosen skin from breast down to the drum sticks with your fingers. Massage spice mixture underneath skin over then over the outside of the skin.
- Open beer and take 2-3 big swigs (about 1/3 of the can). Using a can opener make an additional opening on the opposite side of the can from the pop top.
- Take the beer can and shove it up the chickens behind. The chicken will be sitting up with the beer can sitting on the aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Tuck in the ends of the wings (flappers). The chicken will look like it is dancing with its arms behind its head.
- Place the entire baking sheet with chicken onto the grill. Close. Keep closed, peeking to make sure it is still upright every 30 minutes. You might get a few flare-ups if the fat drips onto the flames, but hopefully the baking sheet will catch most of it while allowing the chicken to stay standing upright through the whole cooking process.
- If you are making Cola BBQ Sauce, start it up now.
- Remove chicken at 2 hours and allow to stand for 10 minutes before carving. Chicken should have an internal temperature of 160 degrees.
- Serve with Cola BBQ Sauce.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!