Yippee, Valentine’s Day is right around the corner! A holiday that screams red and pink, baked goods and chocolate… so I ask you, what will you be making?
I’ll be making another batch of no-bake cookies Strawberry Shortcake Cookies to be exact!
What's In This Article
Valentine’s Day Goodies
100% honest, I love giving and getting a box of chocolates around Valentine’s Day or any day of the year for that matter. But every now and again, you want to do something special and fun to make things special and this recipe is just the thing.
Listen, we are all busy so when I can avoid firing up the old oven, I take the opportunity. No-bake, beautiful on a plate and easy to package as gifts, these little gems are a no-brainer that everyone will love!
What Cookies To Use
This is a recipe originally produced by the classic cookie brand, Nilla Wafer. Those little treats are probably best known for their place in Banana Pudding recipes (or my Strawberry Pudding Trifle), the company has set out to create new recipes that are sure to become classics as well.
The concept was introduced during Christmas with sky-high, three layered cookie sandwiches, layered with orange juice and raspberry jam. However, I simplified things a touch for Valentine’s Day.
Two layers seemed a bit more manageable for me to make and for us to eat after they were assembled. I also decided to switch up the flavors. I nixed the orange juice and swapped the raspberry for a Valentine’s Day favorite – strawberry!
Not a fan of strawberry? Use whatever flavor jam or jelly you are craving at the moment. The jam tucked between the Nilla Wafers will soften the cookies just enough to give them a cake-like consistency and the chocolate holds everything together.
You’ll have a good amount of leftover white chocolate after dipping, purely because it is impossible to dip using a sparse amount. I used the remaining chocolate to dip strawberries or make super easy Chocolate Caramel Pretzels.
How To Make Nilla Cookie Sandwiches
ONE. Evenly spread strawberry jam on the flat side of 12 Nilla wafers. Top with another Nilla wafer to make a sandwich. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, but up to 24 hours.
TWO. In a double boiler, or in the microwave, melt candy melts and shortening. Stir until smooth.
Place one cookie on a fork and dip into white chocolate, covering on all sides and tapping to get excess chocolate off. Remove to a cooling rack with parchment or aluminum foil underneath to catch the drippings.
THREE. If adding sprinkles, do so while chocolate is still tacky. Otherwise, additional melted chocolate or frosting can be added after candy melts have set. Allow to cool at room temperature until chocolate sets.
Do not store in the refrigerator, but in an airtight container in a cool place.
Make Them Pretty
For decoration, go wild. You can use colored chocolates, get sprinkles, or use little cake decorations. Embellish and personalize your Strawberry Shortcake Cookies however you like for a one of a kind gift.
These cookies are perfect for parties or gatherings. They are even better to give to your someone special. Pop them in a box and tie it up with a ribbon and you have a gorgeous, homemade treat.
Looking for even more Valentine’s Day treats?
- My Champagne Float
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Cups
- Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries
- Stained Glass Cookies
- Easy Cake Pops
- Easy Strawberry Shortcake
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies
- 24 Nilla wafer cookies
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 12- ounce bag white candy melts
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Embellishments of your choice
- strawberries optional
- Evenly spread strawberry jam on the top side of 12 Nilla wafers. Top with another Nilla wafer. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours, but up to 24 hours.
- In a double boiler, or in the microwave, melt candy melts and shortening. Stir until smooth.
- Place one cookie on a fork and dip into white chocolate, covering on all sides and tapping to get excess chocolate off. Remove to a cooling rack with parchment or aluminum foil underneath to catch the drippings.
- If adding sprinkles, do so while chocolate is tacky. Otherwise, additional melted chocolate drizzle or frosting can be added after candy melts have set. Allow to set at room temperature. You can place them in the fridge, but when removed, they will sweat.
- Do not store in the refrigerator, but in an airtight container in a cool place.
- If you tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings.
Can you freeze them?
Sure can! Just be mindful that chocolate sweats when chilled and then comes to room temp. It is perfectly fine to eat.
Those look yummy. They are super cute. I could see packaging them for a pretty Valentine’s Day gift.
These are so pretty! I’m going to make these with my kiddos this weekend!
These look adorable! I am making these for my hubs for valentine’s day.
These are so cute!!! Just perfect for Valentine’s day! 🙂
What beautiful cookies! A great recipe too! i’m pinning these bad boys!
These look so good to me. I think it’s perfect for Valentine’s Day.