These potato chip marshmallow bars combine salty wavy potato chips with gooey marshmallow and rich chocolate for a crunchy, sweet treat. If you love the combination of saltiness and sweetness, this will be your new favorite dessert.
The sweetness of the marshmallow and the melted chocolate mixes with the salty deliciousness of the chips to create the most amazing flavor combo — and the texture is incredible, too.
If you’re looking for a unique and easy dessert recipe that’s as perfect to pack for school snacks as it is to dive into for a Netflix binge-watch, this is the recipe for you.
Why You’ll Love Potato Chip Marshmallow Bars
There’s no reason not to love these salty and sweet treats.
- Easy – These bars are so super simple you’ll be able to whip them up in a flash.
- Customizable – You can change these up for your own palate.
- Versatile – Serve at parties or pack in lunchboxes, or for hiking. Or, just snack at home!
These simple ingredients come together to make the most delicious and tasty treat.
- Salted butter: Butter helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Mini marshmallows: These add sweetness and texture.
- Vanilla extract: Extract adds flavor and brings out the other flavors.
- Lightly crushed Ruffles potato chips: These add crunch and saltiness.
- Milk chocolate candy melts: These melts add sweetness to this treat.
- Mini chocolate chips: Chocolate chips bring even more sweetness and texture to the bars.
- Sprinkles or candy-coated chocolate chips: Bring color and fun to the dish with these.
How To Make Potato Chip Marshmallow Bars
These delicious bars are so easy to make you’ll want to make them a regular dessert at your house.
- Marshmallow Mix. First, melt the butter in a large pot, and then stir in the marshmallow and vanilla until the mixture is smooth and all ingredients are melted.
- Add Chips. Remove from the heat and add potato chips to the pot, turning them over until evenly coated in the melted marshmallows mixture.
- Transfer to Pan. Then, pour the marshmallow mixture into a prepared pan (with cooking spray to prevent sticking) and press it down lightly to flatten.
- Cool. Leave the mixture to cool completely.
- Slice. Once cooled to room temperature, take it out of the pan and slice.
- Melt Chocolate. Next, melt candy melts according to the package directions.
- Dip. Dip the corner of each treat into the melted chocolate before placing it on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper.
- Candy. While the chocolate is still sticky, add sprinkles, candy-coated chocolate chips, or mini chocolate chips as desired.
What to Serve with Potato Chip Marshmallow Bars
You can snack on these sweet treats solo, or you can pair them with ice cream, whipped cream, or drizzles of your favorite sweet sauce. You can also serve fruit salad on the side, or a dalgona coffee to wash it down.
Jazz these bars up with some of your own creative additions or swaps.
- Chocolate – Use dark chocolate, semisweet chocolate, or even white chocolate.
- Heat – Make some spicy sweets by adding a little bit of cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Nuts – Add crushed nuts for texture and flavor.
- Peanut butter – Mix in peanut butter for an even more decadent treat.
These bars can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
Refrigerator: Store these bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Freezer: Store in the freezer for 1-2 months. Wrap in plastic wrap and then place them in an airtight container or freezer bag to prevent freezer burn.
Common Questions About Potato Chip Marshmallow Bars
Potato chip marshmallow bars are a delicious and easy treat to make — they’re perfect for any occasion. They are made with a simple base of crushed potato chips, butter, and marshmallows, and are then topped with a layer of chocolate.
These bars are popular because they are incredibly easy to make, they’re versatile, and they’re packed with flavor. The combination of salty potato chips, sweet marshmallows, and rich chocolate is absolutely irresistible.
Using low-quality ingredients is one of the top mistakes, but overcooking the marshmallows is another big mistake. Also, be sure to cool the bars to room temperature before serving.
More Easy Bars
Potato Chip Marshmallow Bar Recipe
- Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter, then stir in the marshmallow and vanilla until smooth and fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and fold in the potato chips, turning until evenly coated. Turn into the prepared pan and press down lightly to make them flat. If they are hot, use a piece of parchment paper or wax paper on top to protect your hands.
- Set aside and allow to cool completely.
- When cooled, remove from the pan and cut into 9 squares or 18 smaller triangles.
- Melt the Candy Melts according to package directions. Dip the corner of each potato chip treat into the chocolate and set on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper.
- While the chocolate is still tacky, sprinkle with desired sprinkles, candy coated chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or star ratings!