Rich and decadent, Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce is quite possibly my favorite pasta sauce. The best part? I don’t even have to feel guilty about eating it! It is healthy!
Healthy Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce is a great alternative to traditional Alfredo sauce. Avocados, thick Greek yogurt, lemon juice, tomatoes and scallions make this wildly popular dish a favorite. Bacon optional!
I know you don’t beleive me. But this avocado cream sauce is the bee’s knees. Seriously. I might even enjoy it more than a traditional Alfredo and that is a bold statement.
An entire helping, including whole wheat pasta and bacon, comes in under 550 calories. That is practically unbelievable! And you are hiding some veggies from those kiddos.
They’ll never know. OK, maybe they guess when their Alfredo sauce is a funny hue of green. Ha!
Magically, Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce and Alfredo sauce don’t share many of the same ingredients. Maybe only garlic (which I happen to double.)
Thick Greek yogurt with creamy avocado serves as the base for garlic and lemon juice, providing the flavor and acidity we love in a nice alfredo sauce.
I add fresh cherry tomatoes and scallions for a slightly primavera feel. And then I top it with bacon, which is optional and cut the calories even more.
You can even top this avocado cream sauce with Parmesan cheese if you’d like. Although I think you’ll find it is creamy enough on its own.
What makes this avocado sauce even better? It is ready in just 15 minutes. FIFTHTEEN minutes, to a beautiful, delicious dish of Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce!
I use a whole wheat spaghetti, but feel free to use any pasta you like, even gluten-free. The sauce can even be made on its own and serve over chicken or seafood.
You’ll like these other Italian dishes:
- Slow Cooker Ragu
- Chicken Stuffed Shells in Brie Sauce
- Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Creamy Avocado Pasta Sauce
- 10 ounces (dry) whole wheat spaghetti
- 2 avocados , pitted and sliced
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic , chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley leaves , roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1/2 cup scallions , chopped
- 1 cup bacon , cooked and chopped (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta cooks, place avocado, plain Greek yogurt, Kosher salt, garlic, lemon juice, parsley and extra virgin olive oil small food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. You can also use a blender or stick/immersion blender to combine.
- Drain pasta and add avocado mixture to the same hot pot. Heat over low, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until hot. Add cooked pasta to avocado mixture and toss until fully coated.
- Plate pasta, top with fresh grape tomatoes, scallions and bacon.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!