Have you ever tried a portabella mushroom recipe? If I were to tell you they really do taste like biting into a juicy steak, would you believe me?
This post is sponsored by Bertolli®, however all statements and opinions are 100% my own.
One of the best easy vegetarian recipes are Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms. A great vegetarian dinner idea perfect for meatless Monday!
You should! I’m a total carnivore, but our family likes to experiment with meatless Monday recipes and find creative ways to add more vegetables to our meals. Portabella Mushrooms, whether stuffed or diced, offer the same texture as meat making them ideal for vegetarian dishes.
The best vegetarian dishes combine a rainbow of textures, colors and flavors. This Stuffed Portabella Mushroom recipe does just that. Yellow, green, red and purple make up the bulk of the stuffing with a hearty marinara and fresh mozzarella cheese to top.
Put this lovely portabella mushroom on top of creamy polenta and BOOM- the best vegetarian recipe ever! Polenta is just a fancy name for Italian grits. If polenta isn’t up your alley, this easy recipe also tastes great over pasta, rice or stand-alone.
I found the perfect marinara to complement this vegetarian dinner recipe. New Bertolli® Rustic Cut™ Marinara combines thick chunks of tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery and garlic you can see.
Other flavors of Rustic Cut™ sauces include a Spicy Marinara, Roasted Garlic and Sweet Peppers and Portobello Mushroom Sauce. All of which would be perfect for topping your Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms. Grab them at your local Giant grocery store.
What is the perfect way to prep those beautiful fungi? Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Rich Taste, of course. Not all olive oils are created equal and the range of flavor can vary greatly. I like a rich tasting oil for my vegetarian recipes so the flavor really shines through.
And the last point of conversation here: is it “portabella” or “portobello”? The answer is BOTH.
Both are acceptable terms and refer to the same mushroom, a descendant of the cremini mushrooms, but oversized. I tend to waffle back and forth with which spelling I use. I should really just pick one and stick with it. LOL.
If you liked our Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms recipe, you’ll love these other easy vegetarian recipes:
Stuffed Portabella Mushrooms
- 4 portabella mushrooms caps , stem trimmed and gills removed
- ½ cup red bell pepper , chopped
- ½ cup yellow bell pepper , chopped
- ½ cup cucumber , chopped
- ½ cup red onion , chopped
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano , minced
- ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 tablespoon Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Rich Taste
- 1 cup New Bertolli® Rustic Cut™ Marinara
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese , shredded and divided
- 1 tablespoon flat parsley , minced and for garnish
- Maldon Sea Salt , for garnishing
- 1 cup polenta (corn grits)
- 3 cups vegetable stock , or water
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Start making polenta. Heat chicken or vegetable stock in a medium sauce pan over high heat. Bring to a boil and add dry polenta and fine sea salt. Cover and reduce to low heat.
- Combine bell peppers, cucumber, red onion, garlic, oregano, bread crumbs, egg, ground black pepper, fine salt and ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese in a large mixing bowl. Toss well.
- Arrange portabella mushroom caps on the rimmed baking sheet. Baste with extra virgin olive oil.
- Equally divide vegetable stuffing mix in each portabella cap.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat marinara sauce. Take polenta off heat and stir in butter. If it is too thick, add additional water and stir until desired consistency.
- Plate by spooning polenta onto a plate, top with a stuffed portabella mushroom. Top with marinara sauce and remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and Maldon sea salt.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!