Don’t be intimidated when you see the word quinoa in this recipe title. If you’ve never cooked quinoa before, then I will help you take the steps to make your quinoa taste delicious! This Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Casserole will become a hit for family dinners!
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Casserole is an easy quinoa recipe that uses broccoli, cheddar, and of course quinoa!
The only thing more confusing than how to pronounce quinoa is how to cook it and have it actually taste good. There are a few tips and tricks for making quinoa taste good. My Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Casserole uses several of these tricks for delicious quinoa!
What is quinoa?
It is actually a seed. Most people think of it to be a whole grain. Either way, it is super healthy for you and gluten free. It boasts 9 amino acids, low in calories and packs a lot of dietary fiber.
Quinoa can be substituted for just about any recipe that calls for rice and some pasta dishes. When cooked the granules almost pop in your mouth and provide a starchy taste.
But quinoa also lacks flavor, so it needs some tender, loving care to taste good. Here are a few tips on how to make quinoa taste good.
- Use stock, broth or wine instead of water.
- Add salt! Salt enhances the flavor of all ingredients.
- Toast raw, dry quinoa seeds before cooking.
- Mix with big, familiar flavors like cheese, vegetables and fruits.
For my Quinoa Casserole, I used chicken stock instead of straight water. Quinoa is like a little sponge. It absorbs the flavor of chicken stock, onion powder and salt making them into little flavor and texture bombs exploding in your mouth.
Mix with garlic, sharp cheddar cheese and broccoli for a familiar broccoli and cheddar casserole. Your family will love this easy quinoa recipe! Look- my dad obviously does!
Also, check out my guide for freezing casseroles!
If you like quinoa side dish recipes, check out these other easy side dish recipes:
Tools for making this Quinoa Casserole:
Casserole Dish– I like using a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish for this recipe. Not too big, not too small.
Heavy Bottom Sauce Pan– this will be one of your most used kitchen tools. Having something that is heavy bottom will distribute heat better and prevent burning whether you are using an electric or gas range.
Broccoli Cheddar Quinoa Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine raw quinoa, sea salt, onion powder and chicken broth in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, white pepper, garlic and 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. When mixed, add quinoa and broccoli, toss (don’t stir) until combined.
- Transfer to casserole dish. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Remove and top with remaining 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Return to oven for 4-5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with scallions, if desired.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!