Whatever you call these – black bottom cupcakes, black bottom muffins or cream cheese cupcakes – the end result is the same…they’re absolutely delicious!
Black Bottom Cupcakes, also known as black bottom muffins, are a tasty combination of chocolate cupcake and cream cheese filling.
Are they black bottom cupcakes or black bottom muffins? I usually think of a cupcake having frosting, of which these do not. But muffins aren’t usually this sweet.
I opted for black bottom cupcakes seeing the crumb is that of cake. But if you want to call them black bottom muffins, go for it. Whatever you call them, they’re absolutely delicious!
Cupcakes are one of my favorite desserts. They’re just so much more portable than regular cake or nearly any other dessert and they’re just as easy to make as a cake.
I love the grab-and-go nature of cupcakes and tend to prepare them over anything that needs to be scooped or is likely to crumble to pieces on a serving knife for a party.
However, plain chocolate or vanilla cupcakes just don’t cut it for me anymore. I prefer cupcakes that surprise me with flavor, which is why I love these cream cheese black bottoms.
The vanilla cream cheese mixture gets baked into the chocolate batter and it’s like a hidden surprise of cheesecake every time you sink your teeth into one of these. Basically, you get chocolate cake and cheesecake in every bite.
Black Bottom Cupcakes are definitely on the addicting side. They’re sweet, which is why I decided they’re cupcakes and not black bottom muffins, but not overly so.
I like serving these at potlucks and parties and I can tell you that most people find themselves reaching for a second one because they’re just that good.
They’re also surprisingly easy to make! The cream cheese cupcake filling only has 4 ingredients and the chocolate batter is simple to make so you really only need 15 minutes of prep time.
It’s important to take these out of the oven when the top is springing back lightly, not when they’ve browned as at that point they’ve overbaked. Let them cool before serving.
Since you like these Black Bottom Cupcakes, you will probably like these other easy cupcake recipes:
Tools for making Black Bottom Cupcakes:
Stand Mixer– I lived for a long time without one. My life was changed when I finally bit the bullet and bought one. Just do it and thank yourself later.
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
Black bottom cupcakes are a delicious combination of chocolate cupcake bottom and vanilla cream cheese filling. Easy to make and so tasty!
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 8 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa. Whisk in sugar. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix water, vanilla and vegetable oil.
- Slowly add dry ingredients until fully combined, set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg until fully incorporated. Add sugar, mix well.
- Fill muffin tins about 1/2 way with chocolate batter. Add a dollop of cream cheese mixture to each. Spoon a small amount of chocolate around or on top of cream cheese dollop.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops spring back slightly. Do not allow to brown.
- Remove and cool fully before serving.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how they were!