This homemade restaurant style Mexican rice is one of a kind with its delicious taste! Forget having to go out for Mexican food, now you can bring the tastes of Mexico right to your kitchen table with this Easy Mexican Rice!
Restaurant Style Mexican Rice is a zesty red rice recipe packed full of vegetables and flavor using a delicious combination of red and green peppers, garlic, onions, tomatoes, chiles, and cilantro!
Mexican food is definitely one of our favorites! We eat it at least a few times per week. Everyone has their favorites, this just happens to be especially one of mine!
I like to switch up my rices to add more interest with my favorite being Easy Mexican Rice. No one likes to eat plain and boring white rice all the time.
Simmered with bell peppers, garlic and onion, I use chicken broth and tomato juice to cook the rice for even more flavor. It makes a huge difference in flavor compared to just cooking it in water.
If you are one of those people who don’t care for cilantro, just omit it from the recipe. Easy Mexican Rice will still be delicious without it!
As a time saver, I coarsely chopped all ingredients that needed to be minced and them put them in the food processor. A couple of pulses and viola… they were minced in under 30 seconds. You’re welcome, you’ll be thanking me later for that tip!
If rice intimidates you or you have trouble getting it right, check out my tips for perfect rice every time. Cooking times for rice all depend on if it’s long or short grain, or if it’s white or brown rice.
Don’t be discouraged, I know you can do it! Serve alongside your favorite Mexican recipes, inside burritos or as its own dish! I like to serve mine with Baked Chicken Enchiladas!
If you loved this authentic Mexican rice, check out these other easy rice recipes:
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper , minced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper , minced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion , minced
- 2 large garlic cloves , minced
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 14 ounces diced tomatoes with green chile , drained, reserve 1/4 cup of liquid
- 1 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cilantro , chopped
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add red bell pepper, green bell pepper, yellow onion and garlic. Saute until soft, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add 1 cup rice to the skillet and saute for an additional 3 minutes or until rice is lightly browned.
- Stir in 1/4 cup reserved liquid from canned tomatoes and low sodium chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes, fluffing with a fork every 5 minutes. If all liquid is not absorbed, increase cooking time to 20 minutes.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes covered. Stir in cilantro, serve it up and enjoy!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!