If you enjoy fried green tomatoes, you will LOVE the Whistle Stop Sandwich. Combining fried green tomatoes, avocado, bacon, white cheddar and an egg makes the perfect ratios of savory and salty.
The Whistle Stop Sandwich is awarded the best sandwich of the year! Fried green tomatoes, avocado, white cheddar, bacon and fried egg on pumpernickel bread.
Creamy, yet crunchy. Cooling, yet hot. Crunchy, yet smooth. It is an interesting mix smashed between soft pumpernickel that will awaken your taste buds.
My fried green tomato sandwich is modeled after a local eatery called Miss Shirley’s. If you are ever in the Baltimore/Washington DC area, I highly recommend making a trip.
I love it so much, we ate there (together, gasp) on the morning of our wedding! It was a special treat to escape to Miss Shirley’s for lunch when I used to work a desk job too.
Although I’ve never had a bad meal there and I try to order something new different, I always come back to a few of my old favorites. The Southern Slammer, after which my Whistle Stop Sandwich is modeled, and the shrimp and grits. Both have Miss Shirley’s delicious fried green tomatoes.
Fried green tomatoes are where it’s at and you can’t get them many places. Even less, get them done right. Here they are also crunchy on the outside and juicy on the inside. Just perfect. I was craving them so much and Miss Shirley’s isn’t open for dinner, that I started to make them myself!
I initially made the Whistle Stop Sandwich for lunch, but ate it again the next morning for breakfast… and then brinner (breakfast for dinner). Packed with the superfood avocado, protein, carbs and vegetables, it is a power sandwich to get any busy day started, keep it going or put the perfect ending on.
If you love sandwich recipes, here are some of my other favorites:
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
The Whistle Stop Sandwich is a fried drippy egg, avocado, cornmeal crusted green tomato, cheddar and bacon on soft pumpernickel. Crunchy, creamy, sweet and savory.
- 4 slices fried green tomato
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread
- 4 slices sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado pitted and thinly sliced
- 4 strips of bacon halved cooked to desired crispiness
- 2 fried eggs cooked as desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place pumpernickel slices on a baking sheet with 1 slice of white cheddar on each slice. Bake for 2-3 minutes or until bread is warm and cheese is turning opaque and starting to melt.
- Add 2 slices of fried green tomato, 1/2 avocado, 4 strips of bacon and an egg to each sandwich.
- "Tighten it up" as my nephew says..... meaning smoosh down all fillers to a height appropriate to stuff in your mouth. Enjoy!
If you tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it went!
** To make a perfect round egg for a sandwich, use a biscuit cutter or round cookie cutter. Hold down tight with a spatula or tongs (I couldn't because I had to take a picture!) When whites have set, flip and cook as desired.