em>This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Mission®. All opinions are entirely my own.
There are countless ways to make a soft taco. Chicken, beef, pork (carnitas), vegetarian, seafood, and more, but there is one thing that all great tacos have in common; a delicious tortilla.
Pressure Cooker Carnitas are an easy pressure cooker recipe for shredded pork with Mexican flavors. Perfect for making the perfect soft taco!
Tacos are also synonymous with game day gatherings. A dish that everyone likes, is easily customizable, and easy to make. A taco bar with tortilla chips and dip should be at every party!
Mission® has all of the ingredients you need to plan an out-of-this-world soft taco bar for your Big Game party! For my pressure cooker carnitas, only Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas will do. They are super soft, the ideal size and versatile enough to be the perfect flour tortilla for any taco bar.
Any taco expert will tell you that no matter how fabulous the fillings, the tortilla still reigns king of the taco. It is the first thing you see lining the taco, the first texture you touch and the first whiff of smell. The tortilla makes the taco. Choose wisely.
And what is a taco bar party without Mission® Strips Tortilla Chips? The perfect size and shape for salsa, guacamole, and queso dip, so your guests can munch between tacos.
What are carnitas? Carnitas are braised, shredded pork. This filling can grace salads, burritos, enchiladas, and of course, soft tacos.
It can take hours to braise pork in the oven, but when using a pressure cooker, you can go from start to finished in under 90 minutes with only 10 of those being “hands on.” This leaves you more time to get ready to be the hostess with the mostest.
A few spices and orange juice provide flavor and moisture for the best pork carnitas recipe, while still allowing for your Mission Super Soft Flour Tortillas and other toppings to shine.
For your next party or while watching the Big Game, put together a soft taco bar, allowing guests to build their own carnitas creation starting with the stars of the show: Mission Tortillas and Mission Tortilla Chips!
Set up warmed Mission Super Soft Flour Tortillas, a plate of heaping, easy carnitas and toppings and let your guests do the rest.
Here are some great carnitas topping ideas:
- Cotija cheese
- pomegranate seeds
- fresh radish
- sour cream
- crema Mexicana
- pico de gallo
- spicy peppers
- fresh lime
- roasted corn
- Mission® Super Soft Flour Tortillas
- 4 pound boneless pork shoulder , dabbed dry with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion , thinly sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup honey or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 dried bay leaves
- Desired Toppings
- Heat pressure cook
- Heat pressure cooker to sauté function or heat a large Dutch oven over medium heat on stovetop.
- Add vegetable oil and then boneless pork shoulder, browning on each side, approximately 3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, honey (or agave nectar), Kosher salt, cumin, paprika, garlic powder and bay leaves. Set aside.
- If already in the pressure cooker, stop sauté function or transfer pork to the pot of your pressure cooker.
- Arrange raw red onions around the roast. Pour orange juice mixture over top.
- Lock lid in place and set on high pressure for 50 minutes with vent sealed.
- Allow natural pressure release for 15 minutes.
- Remove pork and using two forks, shred, discarding any large pieces of fat.
- Skim onions and 3 tablespoons of liquid out of remaining broth in pressure cooker pot.
- Toss shredded pork, cooked onions and broth in a serving bowl.
- Gently heat Mission Super Soft Tortillas in a warm oven according to package directions. Serving them warm further enhances their taste.
- Serve carnitas with warmed flour tortillas and desired toppings.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
But before you host your fabulous game day party, make sure you enter to win the Mission Snack Showdown! From 1/1/19 – 2/3/19, you have the chance to vote daily here for your favorite snack in the Mission Snack Showdown.
Each week leading up to the Big Game, there will be different snack matchups. Make sure to vote for your favorite game day snack so you can also submit an entry daily for a chance to win some prizes perfect for your game day watch gathering. Each vote submission will also submit you for a chance to win the final grand prize.