This is an easy breakfast skillet recipe that will become part of a weekly tradition in your home! After you take the first bite, you will understand!
Potato, Andouille Sausage and Egg Skillet is a delicious breakfast skillet with andouille sausage, potato, eggs and gooey cheese. Ready in 30 minutes and perfect for special weekend brunch!
I get lazy making breakfast. It is so much easier to send hubby out for bagels or pour a bowl of cereal than it is to make a mess of the kitchen. However, every once and a while the mood strikes and I want to make a morning meal.
Today it was a simple, inspirational photograph of a potato and egg one-dish skillet I saw on a billboard. Many of my recipes start this way and then progress based on what is in my fridge and pantry instead of using a prescriptive recipe. The billboard was my muse.
Ok, I’m getting a little deep considering this is just a breakfast skillet. Calm down, Jessica.
Preparation for this Sausage and Egg Skillet can be done the night before, so the actual preparation is speedy. I used a 10-inch cast iron pan, but you can easily double the amount served by using a larger cast iron pan.
Andouille sausage adds a bite, so if you would prefer a tamer version, choose a tamer sausage. Just make sure it is savory, not sweet. Cheese and potatoes bring the dish together, as they usually do.
I love making cast iron skillet recipes, the skillet retains heat, lasts longer than other cookware, they are usually cheaper to buy, can be used for many different types of recipes like baking, sautéing, and cooking. If you don’t have one, I highly recommend one.
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Sausage and Egg Skillet
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Heat olive oil in 10 inch cast iron skillet or other oven proof pan over medium-high.
- Add potatoes and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring to make sure they don’t stick to the bottom. If they absorb all of the oil and/or stick, add just a little bit more olive oil.
- Add onion, salt and pepper and continue to stir. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Potatoes will start to soften, but won’t be fully cooked.
- Add andouille sausage and cook for another 2 minutes. Using the back of your spoon, form 4 wells. Crack eggs into each well. Transfer pan from the stove top to the oven.
- Cook for 5 minutes. Remove, top with sharp cheddar cheese and return to the oven. Change oven setting to broil. Watch carefully and remove when cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove and top with fresh parsley. Serve Potato, Andouille Sausage and Egg Skillet piping hot.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!