Hot summer days got you like WHOA? Try this no fuss, no muss Pistachio Icebox Cake!
This no-bake cake is layered with graham crackers, vanilla and pistachio pudding and topped with chopped pistachios, chocolate sauce and cherries!
Icebox cakes are one of my favorite desserts. Easy to prepare and ideal for warm weather. These make-ahead cakes are sure to cool you off and coat your tongue with flavor.
A Pistachio Icebox Cake is one of my favorite icebox cake flavors. So pretty to look at and always a crowd pleaser, you just can’t go wrong with this easy dessert! Something about mint green is cooling to look at and taste.
These frozen desserts can be made with a variety of ingredients including pre-made cakes, ice cream, fruit and my favorite, pudding! Creamy pudding freezes to a near ice cream texture but is lighter and fluffier.
This pistachio cake recipe utilizes vanilla and pistachio pudding, which comes with chopped pistachios built right in! But you can also add extra if you’d like. I throw in a few salted and shelled if you are really into pistachios like I am .
The most time-consuming part of this cake used to be the easy graham cracker crust, which requires 4 ingredients and a quick bake, but I was short on time one day and realized it doesn’t need any baking.
Just shove it in the freezer to harden up a bit. If you don’t like having a crumbly crust, layer the bottom with whole graham crackers instead.
Otherwise, quick set pudding folded with whipped cream or whipped topping. Top your frozen slice of deliciousness with more whipped cream, chocolate sauce, chopped pistachios and maraschino cherries.
It is nearly too pretty to eat. A recipe for summer dessert perfection. Just look at those gorgeous layers!
I eat a lot of pistachios, so while making this I started to ask my Google Home a few questions. Here are the answers, use them as table talk while you serve your delicious dessert or put them in your back pocket for Jeopardy answers.
Where do pistachios come from? Pistachios come from a pistachio tree which is part of the cashew family. Next to Iran, the US is the largest producer of pistachios. It is also one of the oldest flowering trees known to man dating back to prehistoric times.
I keep seeing those cute elephant pistachio commercials claiming the health benefits, but what exactly are the benefits of pistachios? Health benefits of pistachios include lower calories than other common nuts and being rich in vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber. In addition to being a healthier nut option, they are flavorful and velvety, making them ideal for dessert recipes.
Other fun pistachio facts:
- They are also known as the “green almond”, “smiling nut” and “happy nut”.
- Pistachios are genetically related to mangos and sumac (spice).
- The Queen of Sheba loved pistachios, so for a time they were known as the “royal nut” as well.
- They have as much protein as an egg.
Bring this best icebox cake recipe to your next BBQ, potluck, or make it for a weekend dessert. It pairs great with anything from burgers to a fancy steak dinner!
Check out these other easy dessert recipes:
- Creamy No-Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- No Bake Strawberry Chocolate Cake
- Cherry Honey Bun Cake
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
Tools for making Pistachio Icebox Cake:
8×8 Baking Dish– Use it for marinating and baking, it is a kitchen essential!
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Pistachio Icebox Cake
- Line a 8×8 baking dish with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine graham crackers crumbs, sugar and melted butter. Toss until all crumbs are wet.
- Press into 8×8 baking dish. Place in the freezer while you make the filling.
- In a different medium mixing bowl, whisk together vanilla pudding mix with 2 cups cold milk. Whisk until soft set (you start to feel some resistance while whisking.) Fold in 1 cup whipped cream. Pour over chilled graham cracker crust.
- In the same bowl, add pistachio pudding mix and remaining 2 cups milk, whisking until soft set. Fold in 1 cup whipped cream. Pour over vanilla pudding layer, spreading evenly.
- Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate for a minimum of 6 hours. Top with remaining 1 cup of whipped cream.
- Garnish with chopped pistachios, chocolate syrup and maraschino cherries.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, please come back and let us know how you like it!