This recipe is delicious, easy, and simple to make. Tomato Basil Couscous Salad comes together in 15 minutes or less!
My Tomato Basil Couscous Salad is a great way to liven up any meal. Simple to make and full of flavor, your family will love it!
Let’s get right into it. What is couscous? Is it rice? A pasta? A grain? I get this question a lot from novice cooks. Long story short: it is a pasta.
Couscous is tiny granules of semolina made from durum wheat rolled in flour. When you bite into it, you get a very distinct texture from all those little pieces of al dente pasta.
As it is cooking, it plumps up. Some simply soak it, some steam it, and some have their own methods to getting it on the table.
One of the cons of couscous is that it is practically flavorless but think of it more as a blank canvas waiting to be painted by you, the cook. Tomato Basil Couscous Salad is a perfect example.
I prefer to use chicken stock or broth as my base. It adds a good base layer of flavor to the pasta itself and then allows you to add an infinite number of add-ins once it is completely cooked.
I make mine by bringing my stock or broth to a boil. Add a bit of olive oil and butter to for richness. Take the pot off the heat, add in your couscous, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes or so.
When you uncover the pot, simply fluff it with a fork and then gently add in your extras. If you don’t want to follow this recipe, grab any leftover veggies or meats with complimenting flavors and fold them in.
My Tomato Basil Couscous Salad came to me while I was making my Parmesan Chicken. I wanted a side dish but didn’t want a heavy pasta.
Next came the raid through the fridge and pantry for things that would be tasty together. I had couscous, basil, some garlic, pine nuts, and sun-dried tomatoes. Easy enough!
While it is a short extra step, I highly recommend taking the time to toast your pine nuts before adding to the mixture. The natural oils and flavors are so much more robust and delicious with a light toasting.
If you loved this Tomato Basil Couscous Salad recipe, check out these other easy side dish ideas:
- Lonesome Dove Burnt Carrots
- Copycat P.F. Changs Spicy Green Beans
- Red Wine Vinegar Broccolini
- Cast Iron Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Cinnamon
Tomato Basil Couscous Salad
- 1 heaping cup couscous
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in olive oil coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted
- In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth and olive oil to a low boil.
- As soon as the water comes to a low boil, remove from heat and add couscous. Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and fluff with a fork. Add basil, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, and pine nuts. Fluff again. Cover for an additional 3 minutes.
- Serve warm and enjoy your Tomato Basil Couscous Salad!