Most people either are or aren’t pumpkin people. Or at least they think. The truth is that homemade pumpkin puree doesn’t actually taste like much at all.
In fact, until blended with spices and sugar, it is just an orange mush. So people aren’t actually “not pumpkin people”, they are usually not pumpkin spice people.
Making your own pumpkin puree is super simple and only requires one whole ingredient: pumpkin. Which means that picking your pumpkin will be the most important part of making your homemade pumpkin puree.
The only ones that will achieve your desired pumpkin taste are known as “pie pumpkins”, sometimes “sugar pumpkins”. The other two are even more bland than a pie pumpkin!
How to make pumpkin puree?
All you need to do it cut your pie pumpkin in half and bake it halved side up for 60 minutes or until the pumpkin meat is soft. Then you just scrape all the pumpkin meat out and blend it until it’s pureed smooth!
Pumpkin puree can turn out different shades of orange, it just depends on the pumpkin. I’ve has some light, I’ve had some dark. Do not fret, it will all be delicious when you add it to your desired recipe.
Recipes that use pumpkin:
- Homemade Pumpkin Puree (How to Make Pumpkin Puree)
- Starbucks Pumpkin Bread +VIDEO
- Pumpkin Butter
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- Pumpkin Pie Parfaits (No Bake Pumpkin Pie in a Cup!)
- How to Fix Cracks in Pumpkin Pie
- Gooey Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies (Fudgy Pumpkin Brownies!)
- Easy Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Waffles (Best Pumpkin Spice Waffle Recipe!)