Couple of notes before you embark on your Cadbury Egg creations:
- Make sure you purchase extra large muffin/cupcake liners. Cadbury Eggs are not compact enough for the regular size and you don’t want the top peeping out or else it will melt. You can use mini Cadbury Eggs in a regular cupcake liner.
- I had to send hubby to the store to purchase the mini eggs as when I initially went I didn’t think the first try would be the charmer. He did not purchase the ones with creme centers and you might notice this in the photographs. Have no fear- you can use whichever you like as long as they fit on top.
- If you do not freeze your Cadbury Eggs, the creme center will not be ooey gooey. It will taste the same, but be thick.
If you have time and are not in the mood to be lazy, you can always use your favorite vanilla cake and vanilla butter cream icing recipes.
So here it is: simple, easy, however rather expensive after you purchase 20 Cadbury Eggs.
Don’t forget to PIN this recipe!
- 1 box vanilla cake mix and ingredients to make the cake
- 20 large Cadbury Eggs divided and frozen
- 1 can of whipped vanilla frosting
- 16 mini Cadbury Eggs
Prepare boxed cake mix according to package directions or make your own homemade cake mix. Preheat oven according to package directions.
Line cupcake pan with extra large muffin liners. Fill each half way. Unwrap 16 large, frozen Cadbury Eggs and set one into the center of each liner. Spoon another tablespoon over the top of each egg to cover.
Bake according to package directions. Due to the centers being hollow with Cadbury Eggs you won't need to bake for longer even though the overall cupcake is larger. Remove when tops are lightly browned and spring back when touched. Due to the center being filled, a toothpick test will not be an accurate indicator.
Allow cupcakes to cool completely.
Meanwhile, place the last 4 large Cadbury Eggs into your food processor. Pulse until broken into small bits. Add can of frosting and continue to pulse until combined. Frosting will turn a light gray color.
Place frosting into a piping bag with a star tip and frost away! Top each with 2-3 mini Cadbury Eggs.
Keep refrigerated to hold shape. Enjoy!