Fresh berries are one of my favorite things about the spring and summer months. Although I love eating them straight for breakfast, lunch and dinner, I also try to incorporate them into many of my baked items like Berry Ricotta Cheesecake.
Berry Ricotta Cheesecake is a crustless homemade cheesecake recipe using smooth ricotta and fresh or frozen berries. The ultimate fruit cheesecake recipe!
The recipe for this berry ricotta cheesecake entered my life via Bon Appetit Magazine in the form of a frozen raspberry recipe. I was quick to use the same ricotta base, but use double the amount of fresh berries, adding a blend.
I made berry ricotta cheesecake on my own birthday, actually. Sad I made my own birthday cake, but hey, I wanted cheesecake cake darn it! I also made it dinner for a party of 8 and the whole 9-inch cake didn’t stand a chance.
Even my husband, who isn’t much of a sweets fans, commented that this cheesecake was his new favorite dessert for two reasons. The first was that it is crustless, leaving more room for creamy cheesecake.
The second is that it isn’t overly sweet. In comparison to other cheesecake recipes, it only uses a small amount. Fresh berries provide the rest of the sweetness needed.
If it isn’t berry season or they are ridiculously expensive, go ahead and use frozen berries. Make sure to thaw them fully and drain well, as the excess liquid will impact the cake, preventing it from baking up.
Berry Ricotta Cheesecake can be made ahead and stored tightly sealed at room temperature for up to two days, but tastes best the first day. I do not suggest freezing it.
Making cheesecake with ricotta cheese instead of cream cheese is the Italian way to make. Americans have started using cream cheese instead.
Some Italians use mascarpone, the Italian cream cheese. Many have a very strong opinion on which they prefer, as the textures they produce can be quite different. I like both, it is just comparing apples to oranges.
If you liked this easy cheesecake recipe, you might also like these:
- New York Style Marble Cheesecake
- Pecan Pie Cheesecake
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
- Instant Pot Cheesecake
- Baked Strawberry Cheesecake
- Basbousa Cake With Cream
Berry Ricotta Cheesecake Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line the bottom and sides of a 9-inch spring form pan with parchment paper. Lightly coat parchment paper with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in sugar to combine.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, ricotta and vanilla until smooth. In three stages, slowly whisk into dry ingredients. Mixture will be thick and dense.
- Lastly, whisk in melted butter until mixture is fully combined.
- Fold in 90% of fresh berries by hand. Pour mixture into prepared spring form pan. Top with remaining fresh berries.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until top is lightly browned and the center no longer giggles when jostled.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before transferring to a serving platter. Serve with fresh whipped cream or ice cream and enjoy!
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!