Steak and sweet potato come into my kitchen quite often! It’s a no brainer with how quick you can throw this Southwest Steak Bowl together! Enjoy a delightfully easy meal as often as you like.
A Beef Bowl using seasoned flank steak, spinach, baked sweet potatoes, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and avocado, making it gluten-free and “whole”.
In my kitchen, a Beef Bowl is a quick, easy and healthy weeknight meal. Seasoned skirt steak is lightly seared in a skillet while sweet potato cubes bake in the oven.
It all comes together in a big bowl lined with spinach and topped with cool, creamy avocado, leafy cilantro and a garlic-jalapeno “dressing”.
You can add a quality extra virgin olive oil if you like, but I usually think it is fine without it. If you do prefer a traditional dressing, your can also make my Roasted Jalapeno and Onion Dressing. Superb on grilled veggies and steak salads.
This Beef Bowl is gluten-free and full of “whole” flavors and is ready in under 30 minutes. It literally has ALL of the veggies I need in one day. I love spicy foods, which are also linked to increased metabolism and bonus, it takes fabulous!
I do have to give credit where credit is due. I originally tried a version of this recipe from Terra’s Kitchen. I reviewed their delivery service and loved it! (Terras Kitchen is now out of business, unfortunately.)
We had their Southwestern Steak Bowl on the 3rd night and I craved the robust flavors for the next week. I headed to the grocery store, put my own spin on the original and now I have my own version of beef in a bowl.
While these robust flavors may not be kid-friendly, they will be any adult’s best friend. Make a Beef Bowl one of your new favorite weeknight meals!
More easy steak recipes:
- Mushroom Cheese Stuffed Flank Steak
- Copycat Peter Luger Steak Sauce
- Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas
- Insane Steak Sandwiches
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
- 16 ounces flank steak
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 avocado cubed
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 jalapeno seeded and minced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/4 cup scallions chopped
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- chile powder for finishing
- Maldon Salt for finishing
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Toss cubed sweet potatoes with 1 teaspoon cumin and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Spread onto a rimmed baking sheet. Place into heated oven for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Season flank steak with fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat, until it smokes. Add 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil. Add seasoned steak, searing on each side for 2-3 minutes for medium-rare. Remove and allow to rest for 3 minutes. Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Mix jalapeno and garlic in a small bowl.
- Divide spinach, cooked sweet potatoes, steak, scallions and avocado into 2 large bowls. Top with jalapeno-garlic mixture, cilantro and fresh lime juice from lime edges.
- Divide spinach,