This post was brought to you by the makers of French’s®. I received compensation to write this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
The sun is shining, pools are open, school is closed and it is finally SUMMER! Nothing screams hot summer fun more than a classic tomato salad.
Tomato Salad with Mustard Bacon Dressing is the ultimate summer side dish. Make it ahead in a snap for any summer party or BBQ.
Tomato salad is amplified with the addition of mozzarella, avocado and… MUSTARD! All my foodie friends know about my obsession with salt, well, I also have an obsession with mustard. I’d call it my secret weapon, but it really isn’t that secret.
Regardless of the season, you’ll always find “yellow” in my fridge. During the hot summer months, French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard is used in nearly every meal.
Not just for hamburgers and hot dogs, yellow mustard can be used to punch up sauces, dressings, marinades and more.
French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard is made with better-for-you ingredients so you can feel good about using its smooth, tangy flavor for everyday dishes, especially summer dishes!
All your friends and family will rave over your entertaining gravitas. Don’t worry, you can tell them the secret to your zesty dishes. It’s French’s®.
In addition to mustard and BBQs, sweet ripe tomatoes also embody the summer months. I live in a city and small container gardens aren’t large enough to produce the volume of tomatoes I tend to go through.
I have to smell the sweet scent of summer tomatoes at the farmer’s market. I buy a giant bag of topsy, curvy, misshapen and multicolored heirloom tomatoes every week.
And every week I make some variation of tomato salad. For my Mustard Bacon dressing, tomatoes with ripe avocado, juicy mozzarella balls and fragrant basil pair perfectly. Complimentary flavors for any summer BBQ or party, especially 4th of July!
Whether you are hosting a party, attending one, preparing a meal for the family or a whole crew, this tomato salad recipe is for you. This summer salad can be served chilled or room temperature.
The salad itself, and the zesty mustard dressing, can be made ahead of time and assembled before serving.
Make sure to use a variety of tomatoes and colors. Each has a different acidity and sweet level, making the flavors change even though it is all tomatoes.
Pair your summer Tomato Salad with these grilled recipes, all perfect for your holiday BBQ menu!
Tomato Salad with Mustard Bacon Dressing is the ultimate summer side dish using lush tomatoes, avocado mozzarella basil. Make it ahead for any party or BBQ.
- 6 large heirloom tomatoes , stems removed and cut into eighths
- 1 avocado , pitted and cubed
- ¼ cup basil leaves , separated
- ½ cup small mozzarella balls
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon Maldon sea salt
- ½ cup bacon , cooked and chopped
- ½ cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Toss together cut heirloom tomatoes, avocado and mozzarella balls. Top with basil leaves, black pepper and Maldon sea salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- In a small sauce pan, combine cooked bacon, red wine vinegar, French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard, brown sugar and fine sea salt. Bring to a low simmer, stirring until sugar has dissolved and all ingredients incorporate.
- Remove and place in an airtight container until ready to serve. If longer than an hour, refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 15-20 minutes before serving to come to temperature.
- When ready to serve, spoon mustard bacon dressing over tomato salad. Serve.
Make sure to come back and leave us a comment and rating after you've tried this recipe!
For more information on how to incorporate French’s® Classic Yellow Mustard into your summer cooking, visit www.frenchs.com and follow the #frenchs hashtag on social media.