Do you want to know how to make the perfect root beer float!? Well this shows you how! You can whip these up in a short amount of time for the kids and even make an alcoholic version for you and your friends to enjoy!
The Ultimate Root Beer Float will elevate your traditional recipe to float stardom! Nothing says childhood nostalgia like a Root Beer Float! Adults only version also included!
Aw, the root beer float. For most this will bring a wave of childhood nostalgia. I have good news for you- August 6th is National Root Beer Float Day and no matter what diet you are following, I give you permission to indulge in a frothy glass of your own.
The classic Root Beer Float only has 2 ingredients: Root Beer and Vanilla Ice Cream, but The Ultimate Root Beer Float has four, elevating it to Root Beer Float stardom with whipped cream, cherries… and a splash of booze.
Of course you can omit the alcohol, if desired. No matter which float you choose, there are a few key steps to making yours dreamy.
How to make a Root Beer Float:
- Start with cold ingredients. Duh! The ice cream will be cold, but also freeze the root beer for 10-20 minutes before assembling. The colder your Root Beer, the slower it will melt your ice cream.
- Root Beer + ice cream = bubbles! I don’t know what the chemistry is behind this, but many root beer float assemblers will overflow their glass by adding ice cream to a full glass of root beer, wasting the precious creation on kitchen towels. Don’t be that person. Put the ice cream in first and slowly pour in Root Beer at an angle (much like pouring a beer).
- Freeze your glasses. Rinse with water and place into the freezer wet to get them icy cold.
- Pick your ice cream wisely! Classic Vanilla Bean is my favorite because it is the most intense vanilla flavor. French vanilla is too sweet and regular vanilla too muted. Make your own at home for the most intense flavor. If you are watching your waistline, opt for vanilla frozen yogurt. Of course, you’ll need a good ice cream scoop.
- Adults only!!! Add a shot of vanilla vodka, bourbon or rumchata to your float. An alcoholic root beer float will make your day better.
If you love Root Beer Floats, you might also like these drink recipes:
- Champagne Float
- Sparkling Blue Hawaiian Cocktail
- Starburst Champagne Cocktails
- The Ultimate Clamato Michelada
- Ruby Red Jubilee Cocktail
- 2 Root Beers chilled
- 2 cups Classic Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Maraschino Cherries
- Vanilla Vodka or Bourbon chilled (optional)
- Freeze glasses and root beer for 10-20 minutes.
- Add 1 cup ice cream to each glass. If adding vanilla vodka or bourbon, add now. Slowly add root beer, pouring at an angle.
- Place back into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Top with whipped cream and maraschino cherries.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!