Frothy, bubbly, fluffy… I’m trying to come up with the perfect word to describe this lemon poppy seed muffins recipe, but I just can’t put my finger on it. Think about the bubbles that zap your tongue when drinking a carbonated beverage- but in a muffin.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are a quick and easy muffin recipe that can be made in 30 minutes. Carbonated lemon water is the secret ingredient to make them super fluffy!
Last summer I attended the Texas Pete Rib Festival in Greensboro, North Carolina. As a parting gift, they gave us all 5 pound bags of Self-Rising Flour. After my hubby, mother and father gave me their bags I ended up with 20 pounds of this stuff.
Generally I work with all-purpose, bread or whole wheat flours, so I had to do a little research on how to use it. This is a variation from the King Arthur Flour website for basic muffins.
It called for unbleached, self-rising flour, but you can easily modify all-purpose flour by adding 3 tablespoons of baking powder and 3 teaspoons of salt.
Lastly, people freak out about poppy seeds and possibly failing a drug test. Let me ask you, how many drug tests are you really taking?
As the former director of a substance abuse program (yes, I was a psychotherapist prior to blogging), I can assure you it takes A LOT of poppy seeds eaten on a regular basis to test positive for opiates. I had patients tell me all the time they just ate a poppy seed bagel.
I’m calling shenanigans! In fact, several co-workers and I did just that. We ate a poppy seed bagel every day for breakfast and only 50% of us tested positive after 8 whole days of eating these suckers.
Long story short, rest assured that indulging in a few Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins will not get you high on opium nor make you test positive on a drug test (or serve as an excuse for an otherwise positive test).
If you liked these lemon muffins, make sure you check out these other easy muffin recipes:
- Strawberry Cream Cheese Muffins
- Jalapeno Cornbread Muffins
- Banana Nut Muffins
- Homemade Blueberry Muffins with Crumb Topping
- 6 cups self-rising flour*
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups carbonated lemon flavored water , club soda or seltzer
- Zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line muffins tins with liners and then lightly coat each liner with cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or large mixing bowl. Mix until just blended. Do NOT over mix. Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
- Fill the muffin cups 3/4 full. B for 14-18 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Muffins will NOT brown. Remove before this happens.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
*If you don't have self-rising, add 2 1/4 tablespoons baking powder and 1 tablespoon table salt