Love a classic lasagna? Freezer meals? Make ahead meals? Then you are going to love my Green Chile Chicken Lasagna!
Green Chile Chicken Lasagna is a make-ahead and freezer friendly meal layering no-bake lasagna noodles with shredded chicken, spices, green chiles and lots of cheese!
Every once and awhile an idea hits me like WHAM. I crave chile verde about once a week, not that I eat it that frequently, but it does cross my mind.
Typically I serve it smothered over a giant burrito, but tonight I wanted to do some a little different. See that photo below, a white mass of cheese? Guess what is lurking just under the surface….
Remember over the summer when Chile Monster sent me 13 pounds of Hatch chiles? Hubby and I spent a whole Saturday roasting, peeling and freezing them for a moment just like this.
Since the creation was a last minute idea, I swung by the grocery store on a Friday night and picked up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and no-boil lasagna noodles (although typically I use freshly boiled, I was hungry)!
Instead of waiting for the chile verde to reduce and thicken, I made a quick roux, blended it with shredded chicken and layered my little heart away with velvety ricotta cheese, zesty chile verde and pasta sheets. One hour later, we had a cheesy one-dish dinner creation… and several neighbors to help us eat it.
I hope your enjoy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna as much as we did. A new take on Mexican Lasagna!
If you love green chiles, like Hatch chile, like we do, you are sure to love these recipes too:
Green Chile Chicken Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1//2 cup grape tomatoes , quartered
- 2 tablespoon white onion , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup green chiles , diced
- 2 cups chicken , cooked and shredded or cubed*
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese , moisture drained
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 9 lasagna strips , prepared*
- 1 cup cotija cheese , crumbled
- 2 tablespoons scallions , sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk together until a light brown roux forms. Add chicken broth and bring to a low boil.
- Add grape tomatoes through chicken, stirring to combine and heat, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend together ricotta cheese, eggs and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Coat a 9-inch lasagna pan, or other deep dish pan, with cooking spray.
- Place a very thin layer of sauce on the bottom, top with lasagna noodles and then ricotta cheese mixture. Repeat 3 times, with last layer being ricotta cheese mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with cotija cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts.
- Remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes before topping with scallions and serving.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
*”Oven ready” or “no-bake” lasagna noodles will work with this recipe.
I’ve attempted to make this twice and it ends up a soupy mess. Still tastes good but when I compare the video of you scooping in the chicken mixture to mine, it not as thick. I really want this to come out well so maybe next time I’ll reduce the stock.
Hi Tricia, I am really sorry to hear that. I’ve made this several times and never had an issue with thickness. Can you email me at email@example.com and we can troubleshoot the issue?
Your instructions are a bit confusing. Nowhere did I see when or where to add the spices or the green chilies. Additionally, I see where you mentioned Salsa Verde but it’s not in your recipe ingredients. There was very little sauce. I improvised and it was ok. Let me know if you make corrections and I’ll try it again.
Hi Beverly, I am sorry you felt they were confusing. The spices and green chiles are all included in step #3 where it states to “Add grape tomatoes through chicken” which includes all of the spices and green chiles on the ingredient list. I don’t like my lasagna to be super saucy, so no, there isn’t a ton of sauce. I refer to the green sauce as a salsa verde, it is the same thing.
Turned this tasty dish into a keto version by just using zucchini. I’m not super strict so I left the tablespoon of flour. I scored some freshly roasted green chilies at a local farmers market so couldn’t wait to incorporate it into a recipe. I’ve been craving lasagna lately so this was the perfect choice. Added lots if fresh garlic too. Easy recipe to make and turned out so good. Don’t skip the cojita!
That sounds fabulous! I’ll add a note to others about using zucchini for a keto version, so glad you loved it!
This looks amazing! I need to try this fantastic recipe soon!
I love hatch chiles so and Mexican lasagna–total winner in my book!