Green Chile Chicken Lasagna Recipe
Love a classic lasagna? Freezer meals? Make ahead meals? Then you are going to love my Green Chile Chicken Lasagna!
Green Chile Chicken Lasagna is a make-ahead and freezer friendly meal layering no-bake lasagna noodles with shredded chicken, spices, green chiles and lots of cheese!
Every once and awhile an idea hits me like WHAM. I crave chile verde about once a week, not that I eat it that frequently, but it does cross my mind.
Typically I serve it smothered over a giant burrito, but tonight I wanted to do some a little different. See that photo below, a white mass of cheese? Guess what is lurking just under the surface….
Remember over the summer when Chile Monster sent me 13 pounds of Hatch chiles? Hubby and I spent a whole Saturday roasting, peeling and freezing them for a moment just like this.
Since the creation was a last minute idea, I swung by the grocery store on a Friday night and picked up a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken and no-boil lasagna noodles (although typically I use freshly boiled, I was hungry)!
Instead of waiting for the chile verde to reduce and thicken, I made a quick roux, blended it with shredded chicken and layered my little heart away with velvety ricotta cheese, zesty chile verde and pasta sheets. One hour later, we had a cheesy one-dish dinner creation… and several neighbors to help us eat it.
I hope your enjoy Green Chile Chicken Lasagna as much as we did. A new take on Mexican Lasagna!
If you love green chiles, like Hatch chile, like we do, you are sure to love these recipes too:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1//2 cup grape tomatoes , quartered
- 2 tablespoon white onion , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3/4 cup green chiles , diced
- 2 cups chicken , cooked and shredded or cubed*
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese , moisture drained
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 cup cheddar cheese , shredded
- 9 lasagna strips , prepared*
- 1 cup cotija cheese , crumbled
- 2 tablespoons scallions , sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk together until a light brown roux forms. Add chicken broth and bring to a low boil.
- Add grape tomatoes through chicken, stirring to combine and heat, approximately 5 minutes.
- In a medium mixing bowl, blend together ricotta cheese, eggs and shredded cheddar cheese.
- Coat a 9-inch lasagna pan, or other deep dish pan, with cooking spray.
- Place a very thin layer of sauce on the bottom, top with lasagna noodles and then ricotta cheese mixture. Repeat 3 times, with last layer being ricotta cheese mixture.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes.
- Remove foil and top with cotija cheese. Return to oven until cheese melts.
- Remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes before topping with scallions and serving.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
*I used a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. You can also bake chicken breasts and shredded the meat or you can use canned chicken.
*"Oven ready" or "no-bake" lasagna noodles will work with this recipe.