Easy Butter Toffee is a classic toffee on top of crunchy, delicious Ritz crackers. Make this classic holiday treat in just 20 minutes using 5 ingredients!
Easy Butter Toffee is one of my favorite holiday indulgences. I mean really, it is basically hardened caramel covered in chocolate. How could you go wrong?
I have a love for toffee, crunchy, stick to my teeth toffee. Whether it be just plain, dotted with nuts or drizzled with melted chocolate, I love every type, but my love for the salty and sweet flavor affinity makes any type of saltine toffee my absolute favorite.
Traditional saltine toffee uses plain old saltine crackers. Light and delicate, but covered in salt, these are the perfect base to be smothered in liquid gold toffee mix.
But I have a new type of saltine toffee, the type that uses Ritz crackers instead. Ritz crackers are essentially a buttery version of saltine. Still flaky and salty, but with more flavor in the actual cracker.
Why not make them into toffee too? So I changed the name to butter toffee. It seemed more fitting, don’t you agree?
I like to cap my butter toffee off with a spread of chocolate, but can just let it harden without too. If you like this toffee, also check out my Candy Toffee and Bacon Chocolate Saltine Toffee! All the perfect addition to your cookie tray and ideal for making ahead and taking to potluck parties. People always go ga-ga over toffee!
Tools for making Easy Butter Toffee:
- 9 x 13 Glass Baking Dish– an absolute essential for any kitchen! Use it for baking, marinating or storing. Get one with a lid, you’ll thank me later.
- Heavy Bottom Sauce Pan– this will be one of your most used kitchen tools. Having something that is heavy bottom will distribute heat better and prevent burning whether you are using an electric or gas range.
- Offset Spatula – The best way to spread melted chocolate and frosting!
If you like Easy Butter Toffee, you’ll be sure to love these other easy dessert recipes!
- Caramel Apple Bites with Brie
- Chocolate Bacon Jam Cookies
- Chocolate Caramel Pretzels
- Chocolate Bacon Saltine Toffee
- No Bake Chocolate Cheesecake
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with parchment paper, carefully folding the edges so you can easily lay the crackers flat.
Line baking dish with crackers.
In a medium saucepan, heat butter and brown sugar over medium heat, stirring frequently until fully combined and smooth. Do not boil. Pour over crackers. Top with chocolate chips.
Bake for 10 minutes. Using an offset spatula, spread chocolate over the top.
Remove, sprinkle with coarse sea salt, and allow to cool to room temperature.
Remove parchment paper and cut into squares.