Earth Day Cupcakes Recipe
Earth Day is April 22nd and while baking cupcakes isn’t going to save the world, it is a festive way to thank someone who has worked hard to make meaningful changes to preserve our lovely planet.
Earth Day Cupcakes are a simple way to remind ourselves to love the earth and celebrate what it provides for us.
This post also marks my first contribution to the #SundaySupper Movement and I couldn’t be happier to be a part of such a large and positive message.
Did you know that Earth Day is a global holiday? First celebrated in 1970, over 192 countries recognize April 22nd as a day to support environmental protection.
While most of us aren’t part of a larger network or organization, you can still make small changes to help our planet. Every little bit counts and here are a few things you can do to contribute:
Plant a tree, flower or shrub– plants make food, oxygen, promote soil health and beautify
Do a craft using recycled items– beautiful things can be made from up-cycling, not everything is better shiny and new
Take a walk or hike– connect with nature and remember it was here far before you or I
Clean litter– visit your local park or walk around the neighborhood to pick up litter
Recycle– don’t recycle? Start and learn more about your local recycle program, there are many items people don’t realize are recyclable
Don’t use electricity for a few hours– saving electricity saves the planet so read a book, go outside and don’t turn on the lights or use anything electric
Cook on grill or fire– turn off your kitchen for a day
Don’t get in the car– walk to your destination instead of driving
Notes for the cook, make sure you use a white cake mix (not yellow) and use the “egg white” directions. Any color will change the final appearance of blue and green.
Also, only gently swirl or toss the batter to create your Pangea type continents and oceans. Too much will cause it to mix making brown.
Happy Earth Day!!!
Fun facts about Earth Day:
ONE. Earth Day was first celebrated in 1970 after the efforts of Senator Gaylord Nelson To initiate the national holiday.
TWO. Twenty million Americans participated in the first Earth Day.
THREE. In 1990, Earth Day expanded to an International holiday, however it is known elsewhere at Mother Earth Day.
FOUR. On Earth Day 2012, more than 100,000 people rode bikes in China to reduce CO2 emissions and save fuel.
FIVE. In Panama, 100 endangered species of orchids were planted and maintained to prevent their extinction in honor of Earth Day.
SIX. The most popular way to celebrate Earth Day worldwide is to plant a tree and pick up trash and litter.
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
- 1 box white cake mix make sure it is white and not yellow
- Ingredients according to box cake mix use egg white version
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Blue gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
- Red frosting
- Small heart cookie cutter
Sift cake mix into a large mixing bowl. Heat oven and prepare better using egg white version according to package directions. Line cupcake tin with liners.
Divide batter in half, adding green gel food coloring to one half and blue gel food coloring to another.
Spoon approximately 1 tablespoon of green batter and one tablespoon of blue batter into each cupcake liner. Using a tooth pick, swirl the two colors together. Do not over mix, as then you will start to get brown.
Bake according to package directions.
Remove and allow to cool fully.
Using a small 1 inch heart shaped cookie cutter, press gently into the top of the cupcake to serve as a guide, pipe red frosting into each heart shape, spreading around evenly with a toothpick.
Enjoy and happy Earth Day!
If you've tried this recipe, we love for you to come back and let us know how it was!
Do you have any plans to celebrate Earth Day? What types of activities do you do to give back?
- Caprese Skewers by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Crisp Cucumber Salsa with Southwest Style Chips by Momma’s Meals
- French Onion Dip, with Greek Yogurt by Casa de Crews
- Mediterranean Spiced Hummus by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Pepperoni Pinwheels by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Watermelon Salad by annaDishes
- Blackberry Lemonade by The Redhead Baker
- Blueberry Mojito Mocktails by NeighborFood
- Grandma’s Stuff by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Minty Cardinal Punch by Food Lust People Love
- Pineapple Ginger Lemonade Spiked with Turmeric by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Sangria Punch by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Pineapple Lemonade by Noshing With The Nolands
- Avocado Sriracha Egg Salad by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Barbecue Ranch Quinoa Chicken Salad by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Boneless Chicken Wings by Nosh My Way
- Burger Ice Cream by Brunch with Joy
- Chicken Salad Sliders by Life Tastes Good
- Spanish tortilla by Caroline’s Cooking
- Broccoli & Tomato Pasta Salad by Flour On My Face
- Buffalo Macaroni Salad by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Couscous Veggie Salad with Pesto by Cooking Chat
- Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Granola Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Greek Style Asparagus Salad by Curious Cuisiniere
- No Mayo Slaw with Poppyseed Dressing by Palatable Pastime
- Spiralized Beet and Goat Cheese Salad by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Sweet and Tangy Brussels Coleslaw with Fennel, Chopped Apples and Golden Raisins by Simply Healthy Family
Soups and Salads:
- Barley and Rice Salad by Family Foodie
- Broccoli Salad with Bacon and Dried Cranberries by Food Done Light
- Layered Mason Jar Pasta Salad for Two by The Weekend Gourmet
- Smoked Turkey Salad by Our Good Life
- Spinach Salad with Apples & Pecans in an Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Bacon-Bulleit Brownies by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Fudgey Coca Cola Cake by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Earth Day Cupcakes by Savory Experiments
- Gluten Free Cookie Bars by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Lemon Lime Pound Cake by Vintage Kitchen
- Lemon Yuzu Cookies by NinjaBaker.com
- Mini Lemon Chess Pies by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- No-Bake Cookie Butter Chex Mix Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Peanut Butter Bars by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peanut Butter Carob Bars by Pies and Plots
- Sourdough Chunk Cookies by What Smells So Good?
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.