Looking for an alternative to classic cocktail sauce? This version with one simple swap will give you a sweet and spicy dipping sauce perfect for steamed shrimp, crab cakes and anything else that begs for a little tang.
Shrimp Dipping Sauce
This balsamic cocktail sauce recipe came about after I got with regular old cocktail sauce. Which really isn’t all that old and tired… my homemade version is actually quite nice. But I just wanted something new!
So I used leftover homemade balsamic reduction, horseradish and ketchup. The deal was sealed. Balsamic cocktail sauce was quickly added to the regular rotation and even makes an appearance with our shrimp cocktail now.
What to Serve It With
Cocktail sauce can be served chilled for at room temperature, up to you. It doesn’t contain any ingredients that really spoil. It can really be served with anything you would serve cocktail sauce with including:
How to Make It
Making it is simple, but there are two steps you don’t want to miss to ensure you get maximum impact.
- Mix together all the ingredients, BUT before you add the horseradish, make sure to drain it well. Place it in a small mesh sieve and press it down with the back of a spoon to get out all the moisture. Getting rid of the extra liquid will help keep your sauce super creamy and thick.
- The second is to let it sit a while. As with many sauces, allowing the flavors to marry will give the sauce more sophistication and depth. Just an hour in the fridge will do the trick.
If you want to take it up a notch further, consider adding a drop or two of hot sauce or worcestershire sauce.
This homemade cocktail sauce can be made 1-2 days ahead of time and can be stored, covered and chilled, for up to a week.
It can also be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours.
More Dipping Sauce Recipes:
Balsamic Cocktail Sauce
- Mix the ketchup, horseradish and balsamic reduction sauce in a small bowl.
- Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings.