Looking for a quick and easy dessert idea? Look no further- this Angel Food Strawberry Parfait is for you!
Dinner Party Desserts
Back in the day… you know, when we used to socialize and host dinner parties, I loved to entertain. I’d spend oodles of time focusing on appetizers, drinks and the entree but often forget about dessert.
And if we are being totally honest, by the time dessert rolled around, I was already 2 glasses of wine deep, totally exhausted and just wanted to spend time with my guests.
Make ahead desserts and individual desserts like these Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits were the name of the game. And this one is a favorite!
Why You’ll Love These Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits
Fresh berries layered with fluffy angel food cake and creamy whipped cream- what’s not to love?
- Easy to make – Parfait recipes are ideal for dinner parties because they are so easy to whip up quickly, and everyone can add their own toppings.
- Simple ingredients – You only need four ingredients to make the perfect parfait, and they’re all easily found at your local grocery store.
- Customizable – You can easily swap out any of the ingredients for something you like better. Use plain yogurt instead of whip cream, change to a different fruit or even make a savory parfait.
Parfaits are often thought of for breakfast and snacks. Yogurt, granola and fruit layered into a cup or jar. But they can also be dessert. Like little individual trifles.
These Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits can be made ahead and are super easy to serve because, hey, all you need to do is pass them out!
Angel Food Strawberry Parfait Ingredients
This dessert parfait only requires a few ingredients.
- Angel food cake– bake your own or grab one from the bakery like I do! There are some great box mixes out there too. Remember that Angel food is a little temperamental and bakes best on non-humid days.
- Fresh strawberry sauce– homemade strawberry sauce does need to be made from scratch, but is super easy and can be made ahead of time. Of course, you can grab jarred, but homemade is so much better.
- Fresh strawberries– for garnish. You can add more layers of fresh juicy strawberries with the sauce too.
- Whipped cream– because all desserts taste better with whipped cream.
If you have actual parfait or ice cream sundae cups, feel free to use them for your Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits.
Otherwise, large wine glasses, martini glasses and even mason jars work well too. You can even buy disposable plastic cups for easy cleanup.
How to Make Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits
This dessert could not be more simple! In fact, the whole thing is finished in only three easy steps:
- Cut angel food cake. Start by dicing your angel food cake into small cubes. Then put a layer of those cake cubes into the bottom of each cup, making sure to cover it completely.
- Add strawberry sauce. Next add a layer of strawberry sauce. Alternate these layers (cake, strawberry sauce, cake, strawberry sauce) until your cup is full.
- Top with whipped cream. Then top each cup with a dollop of whipped cream and a fresh strawberry slice and you’re done! If you are prepping these ahead of time, make sure to hold off on the whipped cream until you are ready to serve.
Variations and Add-Ins
While I find that the cake and strawberry layers are just perfect, you can also add more flavors. Here are some favorites.
- Chocolate – You can add chocolate shavings, chocolate chips, sandwich cookies like Oreos or chocolate sauce to make this a chocolate parfait.
- Fresh mint – This pairs so well with creamy yogurt. It adds an element of freshness.
- Fresh fruit – Fresh blueberries, fresh blackberries or any other of your favorite fruits.
- Alcohol – A drizzle of creme de menthe or chocolate liqueur
- Crunchy – Crunchy granola, chopped hazelnuts, walnuts or pecans are all a great option for crunch
You can always swap out the strawberries for another fruit, but keep in mind that you will be changing the whole dessert completely. While they would no longer be Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits, a good alternative would be blueberries or raspberries.
Storage and Freezing
Storage: You can store any leftover angel food strawberry parfaits in an airtight container in the refrigerator. however, I recommend storing each element separately so that they don’t get soggy.
Freezing: I do not recommend freezing this dish. It will get quite soggy upon thawing and will not hold up well.
More Easy Dessert Ideas
Angel Food Strawberry Parfaits
- Cover the bottom of each cup with angel food cake, top with a dollop of strawberry sauce and repeat until full.
- Top each cup with whipped cream and a fresh strawberry slice. If you are making ahead, don’t add the whipped cream until ready to serve.
- If you’ve tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!