This Italian Shrimp Omelette comes packed with flavors and textures, creating a delicious dish. This is the perfect recipe to serve for brunch or any of your special occasions!
This Italian Shrimp Omelette is a savory omelette that uses shrimp, scallions, spinach, tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella cheese.
Shrimp Omelette? I see your gears turning and people’s alarms going off. I should tell you that for a long time, I was a skeptic about seafood at breakfast. I was also skeptical about cheese and shellfish.
Needless to say, both of those feelings have changed. It was silly, really, considering I love seafood any other time of day and to be candid, cheese makes everything just a little better. Okay, not everything, but you get it.
Why not breakfast? But shrimp with eggs… I dared to answer the question and be different. The conclusion: deliciousness!
I started with baby steps. Here in Baltimore, people are a little more open-minded and they have something call a Maryland Shrimp Omelette. I had always avoided it for the reasons stated above. Shrimp with eggs, old bay, cheddar… basically crab dip engulfed by egg.
Ordering one at breakfast felt like walking the plank. (Yes, I was dramatic about it.) It was also a life-changing event. I am now and forever comfortable with seafood omelettes, especially shrimp omelettes! In fact, I champion them.
I have now been making this for years. Generally, I make it when I have leftover shrimp or plan to make a couple extra if I am making them for dinner the night before.
I generally have all the other ingredients in my pantry and/or refrigerator. If I am missing one, or have to use a different kind of onion, no biggie, it still tastes good.
Because it is so rare, one usually doesn’t know what a perfect omelette should look like. And it is quite challenging to create. So here’s how to cook an omelette!
The number one thing I look for is texture. It should have a buttery sheen, be fluffy and just a little runny on the outside. Some prefer a little brown tinge signifying a more well-cooked egg, and those are just fine too.
I know what you are thinking. You are looking at my Shrimp Omelette and thinking, hers has brown!
It does! Because here at Savory Experiments we eat everything we photograph and this Italian Shrimp Omelette was on its way to hubby, who requests a “well done” omelette. So be it.
Do your best and don’t beat yourself up if it isn’t the perfect texture the first time you make it. Practice makes perfect.
More easy breakfast recipes:
- The Ultimate Clamato
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Poached Eggs and Chickpeas
- White Chocolate and Raspberry Pancakes
Tools for making the perfect Shrimp Omelette:
Non-Stick Pan– master chefs will tell you that even they use a non-stick pan when making omelettes. Have at least one on hand.
Wide Spatula– It just makes it easier to a lovely omelette flip!
Italian Shrimp Omelette recipe
- Start by heating butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat, don’t rush the process by trying to cook faster.
- Whisk together eggs and milk or cream or use a blender to infuse extra air and make them super fluffy.
- Pour eggs into frying pan, allowing them to set. Cook for approximately 1 minute.
- Top with shrimp, scallion, spinach, tomatoes and half of the cheese.
- Eggs might bubble a little bit. Prick the bubble to promote even cooking.
- Flip, add more butter if needed.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Carefully fold over omelette as you transfer to the serving dish. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese if desired. Enjoy!