These Red, White and Blue JELLO Cups work are perfect for your summer BBQ or get together. Swap out the colors to make them festive for any holiday year round!
What's In This Article
Before today, I hadn’t had JELLO since I was a child. My mother used to make the orange flavor with mandarin oranges mixed in and I couldn’t get enough of it.
As I’ve gotten older, that same gelatin concoction lost its luster. Now, I’m bringing it back and making it very patriotic with red, white and blue gelatins. Perfect for Memorial Day, 4th of July or Flag Day celebrations!
By far, the most frequently asked question is how to make white JELLO.
JELLO doesn’t have any white flavors, but you can achieve that signature layer using unflavored gelatin and milk. It really is that easy. Unflavored gelatin will be located in the baking aisle near all the other flavors and usually on the top shelf. We add vanilla and sugar to give it a little flavor.
How to Make Layered JELLO Cups
Making the layers is easy as long as you take your time. They require setting between each layer so they don’t mix. If you are making them with straight layers, just set them upright. If you want them to be angled, set tall shot glasses in a muffin tin to get the tilt.
- You’ll be making each layer at separate times, first start with the blue. Pour into tall, small shot glasses (8) or short, wide glasses (4). Chill until it sets, approximately 20-30 minutes.
- After the blue sets, make the white layer, place on top of blue and then set again, another 20-30 minutes.
- Lastly, the red, pour in and allow to set.
- Garnish with whipped cream, gold star sprinkles or fresh fruit.
JELLO Shots- The Adult Version
Having an adult only party?? Make your Red, White, and Blue JELLO Cups vodka laced.
For the red and blue JELLO layers, use 1/2 cup boiling water to mix gelatin. Allow to cool before stirring in 1/4 cup vodka. If the liquid is too hot, it will burn off the alcohol, thus negating the purpose of making JELLO shots.
PRO TIP: Use disposable shot glasses with a lid for JELLO shots. Keep them in a cooler to stay cold.
For boozy fruit, soak fruit in vodka in an airtight container for 12 hours, drain. You can also purchase spiked whipped cream.
Make Ahead & Storage
Easy to make and easy to clean up, they are sure to please a crowd. They can be made up to a day ahead of time, but for best results be sure to garnish with whipped cream and fresh berries, or other fruit, right before serving.
Store chilled until ready to enjoy.
More Patriotic Recipes:
Red, White, and Blue JELLO Cups
- 3 ounce package blue JELLO
- 3 ounce package cherry JELLO
- 2 cups boiling water , divided
- 1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup milk , divided
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Whipped cream
- Strawberries and blueberries for garnish , optional
- edible gold stars
- Empty the contents of blue JELLO into a small bowl. Stir for 2 minutes with 1 cup boiling water. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Place tall glasses into a muffin tin tilted or on a baking sheet this just makes it easier to move them in and out of the refrigerator.) Equally, divide blue JELLO mixture between four cups. Place in the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until it sets.
- Meanwhile, start preparing white layer by mixing one packet unflavored gelatin in a small bowl with ¼ cup cold milk. Heat remaining milk, ¾ cup, over high heat until just before boiling, remove. Do not scald. Add the sugar and vanilla. Stir until dissolved and mix with cold milk and gelatin mixture. Stir until well mixed and allow to cool.
- Evenly pour white gelatin over blue layer. Place back into the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until it starts to set.
- Next, mix the cherry JELLO with 1 cup boiling water. Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes. When white layer has set, equally divide red over the white layer. Return to refrigerator to set for 3-4 hours.
- Do not garnish until ready to serve, especially if it is a hot day!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was in the comments or ratings.
These jello cups are so much fun! The colours are perfect for the 4th of July and the layers are so creative!
I am planning my desserts for July 4th and I added this to my list. It is tasty and easy to make!
The kids helped make these and absolutely had a great experience in the kitchen truly a fun recipe and family project
How many Does this make?
It makes four cups. If you use smaller cups, then 8. These are the standard plastic wine cups.
These are really cute.I would like to make these. All of these very patriotic and perfect for July 4th!
I made these using condensed milk for the white layer.
Super yummy and strawberry jello
That sounds great Barbara! I’m glad you enjoyed them and stopped by to tell us about it!
I wish I’d seen these before! Still, I am going to pin them for our next patriotic holiday!
OMG these are perfect!! I haven’t had a jello shot in who knows how long! I am aaaaaaalllll over this!
We used to have these when I was a kid, they’re so fun!
My kids would be alllll over this one!
These are so great! Very patriotic and perfect for July 4th!
I’ve always used whipped cream for the middle layer, but now I’ll try this. Pinned it and YUM!
So perfect for the holiday and they look delicious. My kids would love them, I already know. 🙂
Those are so adorable! I need to learn how to layer recipes like that.
This is the perfect dessert for 4th of July– and it looks so pretty too!
I can’t remember the last time I had jello! Probably because jello always equaled sick food to me. This looks good and fun and festive!
These look stunning! I love that they are single serve so it can be implemented at parties and be less messy than an entire dish of dessert!
Oh those are such awesome Red, white and blue cups! So festive and a lot of fun too! I love it!
How fun! I love the striped effect! Perfect for the holiday!
My kids would flip their lids if I made these for them.
So festive and patriotic!