Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie Recipe
Happy Memorial Day, foodie friends. While many of us are planning cookouts and spending time with friends and family, please remember to take a moment to remember why we have Memorial Day. And then make yourself a Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie!
Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie is an easy cherry pie recipe using cookie icing, blueberries and cookie cutters to make a stunning and cute pie perfect for any patriotic holiday!
Soldiers have given life and limb to provide us with the freedom to grill hamburgers, toss coleslaw and bake pies. For this week’s #SundaySupper Movement I bring you my Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie.
Make sure you PIN this Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie!
The only thing more American than Cherry Pie is Apple Pie, but Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie takes things to another level. I used canned cherry pie filling because I was short on time, but you can make a simple cherry pie filling from scratch.
Simply combine 4 cups pitted cherries, 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup corn starch.
I also used bottled cookie frosting because it is the perfect consistency, but you can make your own by stirring together powdered sugar and milk until it is a thick, but spreadable thickness. Blueberries, however, can not be substituted. (That was my attempt at humor, hehehehe.)
If you do nothing else this Memorial Day, please take a few moments to honor each and every person in the armed forces.
Here are more patriotic themed recipes:
Tools for making this easy 4th of July dessert:
Cherry Pitter– I used to think this was an excessive gadget I didn’t need. I was wrong.
Pie Plates– I think every kitchen should have at least three shallow dishes or pie plates for the process of breading and frying. You can also bake pies in them! Hehe.
Rolling Mat– For rolling out any dough or cookies or just protecting your counters and work space!
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie
- 40 ounces cherry pie filling
- 1 package pie crust softened according to package directions, with two crusts
- 1 egg
- Cookie frosting
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- Vanilla ice cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Press one pie crust into a 9-inch pie plate. Crimp edges using your thumb and forefinger.
- Pour cherry pie filling into unbaked pie crust.
- Using a 1-inch star shaped cookie cutter, cut 12-14 stars from the second pie crust. Place in a pattern over cherries, overlapping in some places and touching the exterior crust in others.
- In a small bowl, beat egg and brush over pie crust edges and star cut-outs.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes. Check during backing baking to see if the crust is starting to brown too much. If so, place aluminum foil over exterior crust or other burning areas.
- Remove and allow to cool fully.
- When cool, outline several stars with cookie frosting and place blueberries around the top of the cake.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
Check out even more patriotic dishes from some of my favorite bloggers! Thank you to Foodie Stuntman for hosting this week’s #Sundaysupper!
Food Using One Color
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
Food Using Two Colors
Red and White Food
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
Blue and White Food
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
Red, White and Blue Food
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma’s Meals
- Berry Filled Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess by Caroline’s Cooking
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Loaded Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red, White, and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.