This post was written by me through an activation with HireInfluence on behalf of the Mussel Industry Council of Prince Edward Island. Although I received compensation for participating in the campaign, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
CHORIZO PEI MUSSELS ARE SUCCULENT, LUSCIOUS, TENDER MUSSELS IN A SAVORY BUTTER, CHORIZO WINE SAUCE. IT’S SO GOOD, IT’S SLURP-WORTHY. CRUSTY BREAD FOR SOPPING UP BROTH IS A MUST!
Mussels are one of the easiest dishes to make at home as either an appetizer or an entree. Chorizo Mussels are a fabulous choice with a broth so tasty, you might actually want to make it just for bread dipping! You can even serve this tasty mussel pot over pasta as an entree. One thing is for sure, make certain you have some crusty bread to sop up all of the delicious, sweet broth! Also make sure to scroll down to the bottom to enter your chance to win a trip for 2 to Prince Edward Island!
Spanish chorizo lends a smoky flavor and pairs beautifully with a sweet white or sparkling wine. For my Chorizo PEI Mussel Pot, I used a half-drank bottle from the night before that had lost its bubbles. Since we live in a “no champagne left behind” household, I opted to substitute it for my usual sweet white (like a Riesling) and it was super tasty! If you do not cook with alcohol, you can use a cooking wine, which generally contains little to no alcohol or substitute water.
Another benefit to having plenty of mussel recipes on hand? They are nutritious and low in calories, making them ideal for those leading a healthy lifestyle and wanting to cut down fat without losing flavor.
Cooking mussels at home can be intimidating to some folks, but it is actually really easy. Here are a few simple steps to ensure perfect mussels every time!
- Start with Prince Edward Island Mussels. They are known for being consistently delicious, sustainably farmed and affordable. The tag on your bag of mussels will tell you where they were caught. Look for the code “PE” to signify Prince Edward Island.
- Mussels should be prepared within a few days of purchasing. Store them on ice or in the refrigerator with the bag open. Remember, they are still living and need to breath to stay good. Don’t suffocate them.
- Rinse them in cold water. scrubbing their shells with a potato brush to remove any debris or seaweed. Discard any mussels with broken shells or that are already open prior to steam.
- Do not oversteam your mussels. People tend to want to steam little longer to “make sure they are done,” but this can also ruin your meal. Mussels are done when the shells are open, which only takes about 4-5 minutes. Which also makes them one of the quickest meals out there!
I know you will LOVE Prince Edward Island Mussels and now you can also win a trip for 2 to Prince Edward Island to experience the magic yourself! Scroll on down for the link to enter, which also happens to be a contest and I hope you’ll be voting for my fabulous recipe! You can even vote every single day the contest is open from March 27th to April 17th. Good luck!
For more information about Prince Edward Island Mussels, mussel recipes and more, please visit their website at PEImussels.com.
Don’t forget to PIN Chorizo PEI Mussels!
- 3 pounds PEI mussels scrubbed and soaked (see instructions above)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 links Spanish Chorizo cooked, casings removed and crumbled
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine or sparkling wine
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Crusty Bread for serving, optional
Combine all ingredients except mussels and bread in a large, heavy bottom Dutch oven or high sided pot.
Bring to a boil and add mussels to steam, covering tightly with a lid.
Keep covered for 4-5 minutes or until mussels have opened. Pour into a large serving bowl, making sure broth overs the mussels.
Serve with fresh bread.
I’m so excited (and a little jealous) you are getting the chance to win this trip for 2 to Prince Edward Island! Please make sure you read through the official rules for the contest and good luck! Make sure you vote for CHORIZO MUSSELS!