Ten minute rocky road fudge is made super fast in the microwave and with only 5 ingredients. Seriously?
Quick 10-Minute Rocky Road Fudge is the perfect holiday dessert and will complement any cookie tray! Chocolate, marshmallows and walnuts!
Why aren’t you on the way to the kitchen now to make some? There are two ways to make fudge: the candy thermometer/double boiler way and the microwave way.
While I do like making gourmet fudge blends the old fashioned way, I also like having the quick and dirty option for classic chocolate, or in this case, rocky road. Which got me asking, why do we only make fudge for Christmas?
Why not other holidays too? Keep an eye out- I’m pretty sure this motivating me to make some Valentine’s Day fudge in the near future!
Do you know where the term rocky road came from? After the Great Depression, Dreyers (yes, the ice cream people) named their favorite blend of chocolate, walnuts and marshmallows after the long, hard road of rebuilding the country. Since, the type of nuts used has changed, sometimes being almonds and other times walnuts.
I prefer walnuts. Another little nugget of trivia, I used to work for Dreyers when I got out of college! Although on the East coast it is known as Edy’s.
I was in charge of Frosty Paws, the ice cream for dogs and so much free ice cream, it was seriously a dream job. Okay, enough about ice cream. We are here to talk about FUDGE!
Another fun fact, no one really knows the origination of fudge, but it was thought to have started with a botched batch of caramel. The first American fudge on the books was sold in Baltimore, where I reside, for 40 cents per pound.
If you are looking for even more Christmas recipes to put in your cookie jar, check this out:
- Christmas Cake Mix Cookies
- Peppermint Macarons
- Bacon Chocolate Saltine Toffee
- Dark Chocolate Almond Cheesecake Cups
- Chocolate Covered Candy Canes
If you are looking for even more dessert recipes, snag a copy of my Easy Dessert Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, these easy dessert recipes are ready with less than 30 minutes hands-on time and are sure to please all your family friends. From no-bake to make-ahead, you are sure to find something you love!
- 1 10- can sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounce bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup mini marshmallows cut in half
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 square pan with parchment paper and coat with cooking spray.
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Microwave on high for 5 minutes.
- Remove and whisk vigorously, add vanilla. If there are still small chunks, return to microwave for 30 seconds, stirring between.
- Fold in walnuts and spread into baking pan while still hot. Top with marshmallows, press down lightly into fudge mixture. Place in the refrigerator to set. Cut and serve!
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!