This post is sponsored by Rio Luna Organics, however recipes, thoughts and opinions are 100% my own.
The tailgating and football watching season is upon us and with that, the pressure to elevate our usual delicious munchies and appetizers.
Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa on Mini Hot Dogs is an easy and creative way to elevate your tailgating spread! Lush, sweet pineapple paired with spicy jalapenos and diced green chiles.
I have three prerequisites for my tailgating foods:
- Must be easy to eat.
- Must be east to transport.
- Must be spicy, salty or sweet.
Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa on Mini Hot Dogs featuring Rio Luna Organic Peppers and Chiles fills all my requirements while being spicy, salty AND sweet. It is the perfect tailgating appetizer package!
We are unlocking the Power of Peppers with the star of the show: Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa. This salsa recipe uses both Rio Luna Organic Peppers and Chiles, for a well-balanced and zesty topping.
Rio Luna Organics has been providing professional kitchens and chefs with quality organic peppers and jalapeños for years, so it only makes sense to use these to recreate your restaurant-worthy dishes at home. They are:
- Certified organic
- Low calorie
- Cholesterol free
- Made with growers using sustainable farming practices
- Focus on environmental concerns such as water usage and reduced natural gases
They also have a new label to help you pick the perfect pepper- it has a heat index meter right on it!
Paired with luscious, sweet and juicy pineapple, crisp bell pepper, red onion and a spritz of lime juice, it is the perfect mix.
I decided to have a little fun when it came to deciding what to pair my Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa with. The obvious choice would be to serve it with Homemade Tortilla Chips on a beautiful stack of nachos.
And while there is nothing wrong with that, it wasn’t the creative indulgence I was searching for.
Instead I decided I wanted hot dog sliders, but was surprised to find out that no one sells mini hot dog buns! Who knew?
Now I was on the hunt to make them myself. Instead, I halved a dinner roll and then cut a slit in the middle, which was the perfect cradle for all-beef mini franks.
To take them up a level further, I basted the buns with rich butter and smoky ancho chile powder. I opted not to toast my buns, but feel free to do so if you prefer some crumble.
While the Jalapeño- Pineapple Salsa is more than enough to give these mini dogs an edge, I also garnished with crumbled cotija cheese and cilantro leaves, both are optional. Hubby also likes to add a few dabs of hot sauce.
Jalapeño- Pineapple Salsa comes together in just minutes with just a little chopping on your end. Rio Luna Organic Green Chiles come pre-chopped and you can either mince your own Rio Luna Organic Jalapeños or buy them pre-chopped in a can!
Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa on Mini Hot Dogs can be served hot or a room temperature. If you are traveling with them, package all pieces separately and assemble at your location.
You don’t want your dogs rolling all over in the back of the car or getting soggy, do you?
Questions you might have about how to make Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa on Mini Hot Dogs:
I can’t find the right size hot dogs or buns, what do I do? If you don’t have dinner rolls or mini beef franks, you can use regular hot dogs and hot dog buns cut into thirds.
Can I make these in advance? I wouldn’t suggestion assembling them in advance, but you can surely make the Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa in advance and store it, covered and chilled, for up to 1 day before serving.
Can I make these with smoked sausages instead of all-beef franks? Oh my goodness, yes! Bonus point if you can find the mini Jalapeño cheddar sausages.
Rio Luna Organic Peppers and Chiles are available for purchase at Whole Foods nationwide, and for my Baltimore followers you can also visit Giant Foods and/or Safeway.
CONNECT WITH SAVORY EXPERIMENTS!
Be sure to follow me on social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Youtube
Pinterest | Instagram
Get our FREE 8 Day E-Course on How to Be a Better Home Cook. Sign up HERE!
Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa on Mini Hot Dogs
- 2 tablespoons Rio Luna Organic Diced Jalapeños
- 2 tablespoons Rio Luna Organic Diced Green Chiles
- ½ cup pineapple , finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon red bell pepper , minced
- 2 tablespoon red onion , minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 12 dinner rolls
- 24 all-beef mini franks
- 4 tablespoons butter , melted
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- ½ cup cotija cheese , crumbled, optional
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves , for garnish, optional
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine Rio Luna Diced Jalapeño and Rio Luna Diced Green Chiles with chopped pineapple, red bell pepper, red onion, lime juice, sugar and salt. Set aside.
- Using a bread knife, cut each dinner roll in half right down the center. Cut slits in both halves to create a mini hot dog bun. You can pinch the halves together to make them more slender, if you like.
- Heat mini beef franks in a small sauce pan over medium heat with a splash of water or natural juices.
- Place one mini frank in each mini hot dog roll.
- Top with a spoonful of Jalapeño-Pineapple Salsa followed by crumbed cotija cheese and cilantro leaves, if desired.
- Serve while hot or room temperature.
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Rio Luna Organic Peppers.