Thai Coconut Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Seafood Thai Coconut Soup is an easy and healthy appetizer or entree using scallops, shrimp, vegetables and a red curry coconut broth.
- 1 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 large scallops cut into quarters
- 16 mini shrimp
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic minced (2 Dorot cubes)
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper minced and divided
- 1/2 cup red onion minced, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger grated (3 Dorot cubes)
- 1 heaping tablespoon red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon basil minced (3 Dorot cubes)
- 12 ounces coconut milk NOT light
- 2 cups vegetable or seafood broth
- 1/2 cup corn cooked
- 1/4 cup mini corn ears cut into small wheels
- 2 scallions chopped
- Maldon Salt
- lime wedges for serving
In a medium sauce pan, heat unsalted butter. Add quartered scallops and shrimp. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes or until opaque and cooked. Remove and set aside.
In the same sauce pan, add 1/4 cup red onion, 1/4 cup red bell pepper, garlic, ginger. Saute for 2 minutes, or until vegetables start to soften. Add curry paste, mixing until fragrant.
Add lime juice, basil, coconut milk and vegetable or seafood broth. Whisk until combined. Bring to a low bowl for 10 minutes, or until mixture is heated and slightly reduced. Broth will be loose, this isn't a thick bisque.
While broth boils, combine remaining raw 1/4 cup red onion and 1/4 cup red bell pepper with both types of corn and cooked seafood. Toss to combine and then spoon into serving bowls. The hot broth will heat the other ingredients when it is added.
When ready to serve, ladle or pour broth into each bowl. Top with scallions, Maldon salt and fresh lime juice.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
Calories: 523kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 43g | Saturated Fat: 35g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 1342mg | Potassium: 666mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2195IU | Vitamin C: 61.8mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 7.1mg