Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
This Cajun Jambalaya is a mouthwatering recipe that can be ready in less than an hour. Andouille turkey sausage and shrimp give this recipe so much flavor!
- 2 teaspoons light extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 4 inch ribs celery cut into quarter sections
- 1 cup bell pepper chopped, can be one color or assorted
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 cups uncooked minute brown rice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5- ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes un-drained
- 5 links andouille turkey sausage sliced into 1/2 rounds (fully cooked)
- 1/2 pound large shrimp cooked, peeled and de-veined
Heat Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan, swirling to coat. Add onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add celery, bell pepper and garlic. Continue to saute for 5 minutes.
Add brown rice through canned diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a low simmer and cover. Continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
Fluff with a large fork or spoon, add shrimp and and sausage. Cover and continue to heat on low for 5 minutes.
Remove bay leaves and thyme springs. Mixture will have a little bit of liquid, but not be soupy. Taste test rice, as brown rice can sometimes be finicky. Allow to rest for a few minutes uncovered before serving.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
Calories: 550kcal | Carbohydrates: 67g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 199mg | Sodium: 1299mg | Potassium: 870mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1165IU | Vitamin C: 58mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 4.9mg