Tomato Parmesan Risotto is a tasty dish full of savory, Italian flavors like fresh tomatoes, basil and Parmesan cheese.
Tomato Parmesan Risotto is a creamy Italian style risotto using fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, pine nuts, and parmesan cheese.
Have I ever shared my obsession for risotto with you? If not, I am now. I love it!
Rich, decadent and creamy dishes rate high on my list of favorites. With risotto, I get the creamy without all of the fat and calories that come with heavy cream. I consider that a win-win.
This risotto recipe is flavored with traditional Italian flavors including garlic, basil, and tomatoes. It does use a little bit of Parmesan cheese for flavor, but the creaminess actually comes from releasing starch in the risotto granules.
Simmering risotto low and slowly adding liquid, while stirring, stirring, stirring is what gives it a unique texture. It is almost the opposite of other types of rice that you want to refrain from stirring or they get mushy.
While the preparation of risotto is time consuming, it isn’t difficult and you will reap the rewards when everyone at the table raves.
There are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to how to cook risotto:
- Fry your garlic and onions in your butter and olive oil first.
- Add in your arborio rice and sauté until browned and has a see-through appearance.
- Next, add in your white wine and stir until its been absorbed.
- Ladle in a cup of chicken broth at a time and stir until its been absorbed, repeat until all the broth is finished and has been fully absorbed.
- Add in your last few ingredients: tomatoes, basil, and parmesan cheese, and stir.
- Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb all the flavors.
- Top with toasted pine nuts and enjoy!
One thing you should do before starting Tomato Parmesan Risotto, is make sure you read my tips on making perfect risotto!
If you loved this risotto recipe, check out these other easy risotto recipes:
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 tablespoon light extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 white onion diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 plum tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/3 cup basil torn into strips
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts , toasted
In a large, wide frying pan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Saute arborio rice, onion and garlic, stirring with a wooden spoon. Cook for 5 minutes, browning evenly.
Meanwhile, heat chicken broth in a sauce pan until at a low simmer, then reduce to warm.
Add white wine to arborio rice, stirring to absorb. Ladle in one cup of simmering broth and stir. Cook until absorbed. Continue to add 1 cup of simmering broth at a time, waiting until each addition is absorbed before adding the next, until all broth is gone. This process takes about 20 minutes.
Risotto should be creamy and rice granules taut. Stir in salt, tomato, basil and Parmesan cheese. Top with toasted pine nuts.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!