Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwich Recipe
Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwiches aren’t your usual sausage sandwich Oh no, these are sweet, spicy and salty. The supreme trifecta!
Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwiches combine spicy Italian sausage with hot sauce spiked cream cheese with sweet apricot jam, salty bacon and chives.
Am I the only person who thinks about that scene from Father of the Bride with Steve Martin freaks out about the quality of hot dog rolls in a pack when it never matches the number of hot dogs? Bueller… Bueller…
I can’t pick up a pack of hot dog buns or club without saying to myself “I guess we’ll have the chipper chicken.” Just me? Okay… on to the recipe… I don’t want to be pegged as one of those annoying food bloggers that drones on about nonsense.
PRO TIP: You can make this Italian Sausage Sandwich recipe with spicy Italian sausage or sweet Italian sausage.
I am not sure how this recipe for Italian Sausage Sandwiches even came about. It is quite inventive actually.
If I asked you if spicy, sweet, salty are flavors that “go together” I presume you would answer “yes”! So why is it that spicy Italian sausage, apricots, bacon and cream cheese sounds so strange? It really shouldn’t; the flavor profile is the same.
It all started with an appetizer recipe that I tried featuring hot sausage bites wrapped in bacon, bread and cream cheese. It tasted good, but was awkward to eat. I figured it would be easier to devour if it was a whole sausage, snugly carried in a hearty roll.
If you read my blog with any regularity, you know I love spicy with sweet and spicy with salty, so it really shouldn’t come as a surprise that I wanted to add something sweet, like apricot preserves!
I served this to hubby and a couple friends. They all thought I was crazy, but there weren’t any leftovers, were there? A big, fat “I told you so” was in order.
If you like this non-traditional sandwich recipe, check these out!
- Double Crunch Chile Relleno Monte Cristo
- Whistle Stop Sandwich
- Ultimate Salmon Sandwich
Raspberry Chipotle BBQ Grilled Cheese
Tools for making Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwiches:
Wood cutting board – wood won’t dull your knives like plastic and if treated properly, has natural antimicrobial properties.
Sweet and Spicy Italian Sausage Sandwiches
- 5 Italian Sausages
- 1/2 cup bacon , cooked and crumbled
- 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 5 club rolls or hotdog buns
- 1 tablespoon chives , minced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a baking dish with cooking spray and place sausages into the dish. Bake sausages for 15-20 minutes, or until cooked. You can also grill them, if you prefer.
- Blend cream cheese and hot sauce together in a small bowl.
- Place a sausage on a roll, smother with cream cheese apricot preserves and chives.
- If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!