This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SummerServed #CollectiveBias
Zesty Shrimp Salad Avocados are an easy, no-cook recipe for your next BBQ. Shrimp, corn, tomatoes and bell pepper with a zesty yogurt sauce served in creamy avocado halves.
Summer has finally arrived and with it all of my favorite summer foods! This year I am on a mission to put new twists on old classics.
On this date, I decided to take shrimp salad to the next level using RO*TEL® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies to put a southwestern flare and zesty spice to the traditional picnic favorite.
I also happen to be obsessed with avocados. Like I am putting them on nearly everything and will eat avocado toast for my whole meal, obsessed. So it was only natural that instead of serving my shrimp salad on a buttery brioche bun, that I would serve it in a cool avocado halve.
All of these delicious and colorful flavors needed a binding agent and mayonnaise just seemed too heavy and a little too flavorful. Instead I used a plain Greek yogurt, not only cutting down on calories for my bathing suit bod (just kidding!) but adding it’s own little tartness to cut through a dash of chili powder.
The best part? Shrimp Salad Avocados are easy to make and easy to assemble, making them perfect for serving large groups of people, taking for your work potluck or even bringing to a friends BBQ for Memorial Day!
You can assemble them ahead of time, place in an airtight plastic container and tote them on over or prepare them them after you arrive.
Basting the avocado halves with lemon juice and olive oil will reduce the speed at which they oxidize (start browning) while also adding flavor. Keeping them in their skin serves as a natural dish, making it easy to grab a fork or spoon and eat your Shrimp Salad Avocado while socializing.
Here are even more great recipes for large gatherings and parties!
If you liked this Easy Dinner Recipe, snag a copy of my Easy Dinner Recipes Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, here is a small collection of time-saving, hearty and satisfying dinners guaranteed to get you in and out in 30 minutes or less!
- 4 avocados ripe and halved
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup RO*TEL® Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies drained
- 1 cup shrimp cooked and cut into smell pieces
- 1/2 cup corn kernels
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper minced
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cilantro roughly chopped
- Hot Pepper Slices for garnish, optional
- Whisk together lemon juice and olive oil. Baste onto avocado halves.
- In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, RO*TEL Original Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, corn, green bell pepper, Greek yogurt, fine sea salt, black pepper and chile powder. Stir to combine.
- Spoon into avocado halves. Top with chopped cilantro and hot pepper slices.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!
To find even more summer cookout inspiration AND summer recipe tastings in your area, click HERE!