This Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Recipe creates a healthier version of the Chinese delivery dish right at home in your slow cooker!
Here is another slow cooker recipe for busy people. A healthier version of the beloved Chinese delivery dish, this modification of Orange Chicken does not bread or fry the chicken.
The sauce is light, but flavorful and always filling. You are also free to add as many vegetables as you’d like.
While I like just onions and broccoli, you can also add those little mini corn ears, sugar snap peas, water chestnuts or bell peppers.
By using Orange Marmalade, you will get an intense orange flavor, even more so than the Chinese dish, which sometimes doesn’t even taste like orange, if we are being honest. You will also get rid of all the work of creating a fabulous sauce. Presto!
The best part? Only 10 minutes to assemble in the slow cooker!
Set it and forget it will forever be my goal when it comes to slow cooker recipes!
I try to make it so there is minimal prep work and most of the work is done by the slow cooker.
Everything gets dumped in the crock pot and cooked until it’s ready! What more could you hope for?
I generally use a minute rice to pair with my slow cooker meals, but if you can also make my super easy restaurant style fried rice.
If you don’t feel like buying Chinese 5 Spice Powder, if you can either omit it or make your own! Just blend together 1 teaspoon of ground anise seed and cinnamon, plus 1/4 teaspoon ground fennel, pepper and clove.
More easy slow cooker recipes:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Jambalaya
- Slow Cooker Apple Balsamic Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 cup orange marmalade , preferably one with orange zest
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 4 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger , grated
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes , optional
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder*
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 32 ounce bag frozen broccoli
- 1 bunch scallions , chopped at an angle
- 4 cups jasmine or white rice , cooked
- You know the drill. Dump chicken through Chinese Five Spice Powder into the crock pot. Literally everything except corn starch, frozen broccoli, scallions and rice.
- Stir to combine ingredients the best you can.
- Set the timer for either 3 hours on high or 6 hours on low.
- About 30 minutes before serving, ladle out a small amount of sauce. Whisk with cornstarch and return to the crock pot, stirring to mix.
- Add frozen broccoli and stir again. Cover and continue to cook for the remaining time.
- When you are ready to eat, spoon chicken mixture over hot rice. Top with sliced scallions.