This Butternut Squash Pizza recipe is a vegetable pizza that will knock your socks off with how delicious this vegetable pizza tastes! Zucchini, caramelized onions, and fresh mozzarella make this pizza delectable!
Butternut Squash Pizza is an easy homemade pizza recipe! Butternut squash cream base makes this different from your ordinary tomato sauce. If you’re looking for a recipe to switch it up, this is the recipe for you!
I know you’re probably looking at the title of this recipe post and thinking butternut squash with pizza?! How does that even go hand in hand!? Well you’ll be pleasantly surprised how nicely butternut squash makes a cream base for your pizza sauce!
Truthfully I’m always looking for alternative pizzas. True, there is nothing like a well executed cheese or pepperoni, but sometimes you want to mix it up.
This time I wanted to nix the tomato sauce, but not go completely white, so I went orange with butternut squash!
Sweet onions, cool zucchini, creamy squash and stringy mozzarella play so nicely I ended up making TWO Butternut Squash Cream, Caramelized Onion, Zucchini and Mozzarella pizzas – one on a cauliflower pizza crust and the other on a pre-made traditional crust. Both options were tasty and filling.
This pizza is perfect for a weeknight dinner with the family. It takes under 30 minutes to make and brings a healthier alternative to the table.
If you’re worried about your picky eaters throwing a fit over this vegetable pizza, they might just surprise you by actually enjoying it with all the bright colors!
Feel free to alter the topping choices based on preferences in your home, but zucchini, caramelized onions, and mozzarella made a delicious combination!
If you loved this homemade pizza recipe, check out these other easy pizza recipes:
Tools for Butternut Squash Vegetable Pizza:
Bread Peel – Not just for bread, use this bad boy for pizza too! Mine even hangs in my kitchen as decor when not in use.
Pizza Stone – Pizza stones are great for more than just pizza and can be used with homemade dough or a pre-baked crust. Also use for calzones, baking bread, reheating pizza and more to keep crisper crusts.
- 1/4 cup caramelized onions
- 1 cup butternut squash , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 Pre-made pizza crusts or Cauliflower Pizza Crusts
- 1/2 cup zucchini shavings
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella , cut into pieces slightly larger than a quarter
In a medium saucepan, combine cubed butternut squash and vegetable stock. Heat to a low boil, stirring to evenly cook the butternut squash. In approximately 10-15 minutes the majority of the liquid should be absorbed or evaporated and butternut squash will be soft and tender.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender or food processor, blend butternut squash with heavy cream, rubbed sage, Kosher salt and ground black pepper. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Follow cooking directions for pizza crust- either pre-packaged or Cauliflower Crust. Crust should already be cooked before adding toppings.
- Dress your crust starting with a butternut squash cream base. Continue with zucchini shavings, caramelize onions and lastly fresh mozzarella.
Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and brown. Watch closely, depending on your crust, cook times may vary to prevent burning.
We love comments over here! If you've tried this recipe, make sure to come back and let us know how it went!