Beer Buttered Shrimp are a quick dish of smoky shrimp in a butter, beer and tomato sauce served as an appetizer or over rice for dinner in just 15 minutes!
Beer Buttered Shrimp is a tomato based sauce infused with your choice of beer, spices and simmered with shrimp. Serve as an appetizer or over rice as an entree.
In the words of George Takei… Oh Myyy…. Beer + Butter +Shrimp. It is that time of the year: FOOTBALL SEASON!
I love to watch football and therefore many of the tasty treats I prepare need to be done ahead of time or require minimal to no hands-on time so I can prep and cook during commercial breaks. Buttered Beer Shrimp is exactly that: a tomato based sauce, infused with your choice of beer, some spices then simmer with shrimp.
This recipe got me thinking, how long have shrimp been used in recipes? Well evidence has been found that shrimping was taking place around 600 AD off the coast of the southeastern coast of North America. Evidence has also been found in clay vessels discovered in the ruins of Pompeii.
Throughout the time of shrimping, shrimp were sun dried. This still takes place in Louisiana where shrimping has been going on since 1735.
The shrimping industry in the United States was largely affected by the Chinese immigrants that arrived in the States for the gold rush. Some of the immigrants would catch the shrimp local to San Francisco Bay, sun dry them and sell them to Chinese immigrants in the United States or export them to China.
Did you know that there are more than 2000 species of shrimp in the world! Wow thats a lot of shrimps, except only 20 species are farmed.
If you liked this buttered shrimp recipe, make sure you check out some of these other easy shrimp recipes:
- Thai Shrimp and Glass Noodles- Kung Op Wun Sen
- Ginger Bok Choy Salad Kit and Soy Lime Shrimp
- Creamy Shrimp Scampi Bread Bowl
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Salad
If you are looking for even more fabulous appetizers, snag a copy of my Easy Appetizers Beyond Dips Mini-Cookbook. Available here for only $0.99, one of these fun and festive appetizers sure to be the hit of any gathering!
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 ounces can tomato paste
- 12 ounces can beer
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 pounds shrimp peeled, tail on
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Using a micro grater, grate garlic directly into the butter. Add paprika and stir until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk in tomato paste until smooth. Add beer, honey and sea salt. Bring to a low simmer. Continue to simmer until mixture reduces by half and thickens.
- Add shrimp and salt. Allow to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. Since you can’t see the color of the shrimp deepen to a pink, look for them to curl.
- Serve immediately and enjoy your Buttered Beer Shrimp! You can serve just this or on top of a crusty slice of bread or rice.
If you've tried this recipe, come back and let us know how it was!