This recipe started out with an idea for quinoa and cheese, much like mac and cheese. It tasted good, but my reviewers and I both decided it would taste even better in a casserole, much like my Hashbrown Casserole or baked ziti.
1. Start by preparing your quinoa. Combine raw quinoa, water and shakes of table salt in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Low heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork. Set aside.
2. Spray a medium skillet with cooking spray, heat to medium-high. Add broccoli. Stirring occasionally, cook until broccoli is a bright, vibrant green and is soft. Remove and set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, milk, sea salt and white pepper. Whisk to combine. Fold in scallions, garlic and 2 cups grated cheddar cheese. When combined, fold in cooked quinoa.
4. Spray a large casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour in quinoa mixture. Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
5. Bake uncovered for 35-40 minutes. If cheese starts to brown too fast, loosely cover with a leaf of aluminum foil.
6. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!