I WANT TO WIN A WEEK IN ONE OF YOUR TUSCANY VILLAS!
Ingredients for Chicken Parmigiani with Tomato Confit
Tomato and Garlic Confit
12 beefsteak tomatoes
10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup whole basil leaves
1/2 cup extra light virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon ground white pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees. The first step for Tomato and Garlic Confit is to prepare the tomatoes for roasting by skinning them. If you have never skinned a tomato before, have no fear, it is very easy. Fill a medium sauce pan 3/4 with water, bring to a boil. Set up an ice bath directly next to the range. Score a “X” in the bottoms of all tomatoes.
6. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Using a pastry brush, baste half of light extra virgin olive oil onto the foil. Place tomatoes, cut side down onto foil. Scatter whole, peeled garlic cloves and basil over the cookie sheet. Using pastry brush, baste the remaining light extra virgin olive oil over the tops of the tomatoes and garlic cloves. Sprinkle fine sea salt and ground white pepper over the top.
7. Tomatoes will slow roast for 2 hours. Every 30 minutes, open the oven door to release built up condensation. Remove at 2 hours, tomatoes should have shrunk considerably in size and deepened their color to a brick red.
8. Dice tomatoes and transfer whole garlic cloves, basil and remaining liquid in the baking sheet to an airtight plastic container. Set aside while you prepare your Chicken Parmigiani.
9. Lower oven temperature to 200, just warm.
10. Place one chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper on a cutting board. Using a tenderizer, pound the chicken breast until it is a uniform thickness, about 1/4 inch or a tiny bit thicker. Continue with remaining breasts. Cut each flattened breast in half, smaller pieces are easier to handle when frying.
11. You will need three pie plates or mixing bowls. In bowl #1 mix flour, nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. In bowl #2 beat two eggs. In bowl #3 mix bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese.
12. Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat.
13. Working briskly, dredge chicken in flour mixture, then egg mixture and finally bread crumb mixture. Pressing bread crumbs into the breast. The flour is necessary to get the egg to stick and the egg is necessary for the bread crumbs to stick.
14. Place into hot frying pan. Fry for 3-4 minutes on each side or until medium brown. Place on a paper towel lined jelly roll pan and place into the oven to keep hot.
15. Continue with remaining breasts. If the frying pan gets dry, melt an additional 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. The liquid will absorb into the breading (adding flavor!).
16. Place completed chicken breasts into the oven while you continue to fry. When complete, remove from oven.
17. To serve, plate a slice of Chicken Parmigiani and smother with Tomato and Garlic Confit. I served this with a side of Shallot and Spinach Whole Wheat Gnocchi.